Rough Weekend Ahead

Options
This weekend we are celebrating my unlces 50th birthday and they are having a dinner/party for him. The meal is supposed to be at 6:30/7 and its a cream can dinner (not sure what it contains but doesn't sound good!) I was thinking about eating dinner before we went to the party since I didn't know what they would have but would this be rude? I don't want to offend my family but I don't want to totally screw up my cal count either! Any suggestions?

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Eat in advance and have salad (I am sure they will serve some sort of salad with the dinner). Tell them you are on a strict diet right now but it sure looks yummy!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I would eat about 3/4 of a meal at home then when you go only eat a very little bit...that way you aren't starving if you don't like it and people won't think you're being rude because you are eating a little bit of it.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I would eat something before the party and only partake in a small amout of what ever that cream can dinner is. Yikes, that kinda scares me!
    You can always pull that "I'm not feeling all that well right now" card if need be...
  • cj0725
    cj0725 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There were many recipes for a cream can dinner (some called for a pound of butter - all involved polish sausage).

The one below had nutritional info (not so good):

Ingredients
    14 large ears sweet corn in husks
    5 pounds medium red or white potatoes
    1-1/2 pounds carrots, halved
    2 large onions, quartered
    2 medium heads cabbage
    16 fresh Polish sausage links
    2 quarts water
    Salt and pepper, optional
    Directions
    Peel and clean corn, saving and washing enough husks to cover the bottom of a 5-gallon metal cream can or kettle. Layer all of the corn, half of the potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage, then half of the sausages. Repeat layers with the rest of the vegetables and sausages, saving one or two potatoes for the top to test for doneness. Pour the water over and add salt and pepper if desired. Cover and bring to a boil on grate over a fire. Let steam for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 887 calories, 52 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 1,253 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 30 g protein.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    FYI - I'm sure they will all vary, but here is what I found to be in one recipe:
    Never mind.....some one beat me to it. Ha