Having difficulty meeting daily fat intake. Need help!

Options
My daily macros is 71 grams carbs, 88 grams protein, and 86 grams fat. I have been able to meet the protein and carb macros, but I'm having trouble with getting 86 grams of fat. For the last sixteen days my average is about 70 grams of fat. How can I increase my fat macros without increasing my caloric intake? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Replies

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Are you perscribed those macros for any specific medical reason? That's around 20% carbs, 55% fat, 25% protein. That's a pretty strange distribution in my opinion.

If you want to add fat, adding olive oil to things would be one simple way to do it. But not sure what you mean about not increasing your caloric intake? Fat has calories so any fat you add is going to increase your calories.

Yes, I'm on a specific program with a doctor. The macros distribution is specific for me (with genetic testing). I do use butter, avocado, and olive oil. I realize that fat has calories, but I don't want to consume more than my daily calories. I guess I really should say I am having trouble balancing the macros. I try to get as close as I can both macro and calories every day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You need to substitute carb protein options that are lower fat with higher

Ie not non-fat yogurt but whole milk yogurt; fattier cuts of meat vs leaner ones
  • fdlewenstein
    Options
    You need to substitute carb protein options that are lower fat with higher

Ie not non-fat yogurt but whole milk yogurt; fattier cuts of meat vs leaner ones

Don't eat yogurt. I eat meat so swapping for fattier cuts is not an issue. I recently switched from eating chicken breast to chicken thighs. I don't really drink milk and if I have sour cream I use the full fat. I have resorted to having whipping cream in my coffee some days to increase my fat intake and I usually drink my coffee black. I use ghee when I make my eggs. I make vegetables with olive oil even though I'm perfectly fine with steamed veggies. Not sure where else I can add fat?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    A handful of walnuts. 30g (one serving) is 196 calories, 4g carbs, 20g fat, 5g protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Ask your doctor which two macros are most important to hit and concentrate on those. I'm guessing this will be protein and fat, so you will need to decrease carbs to give you calories to increase fat. So, more butter, more oil, and larger portions of fatty meat like rib eye. (Chicken thighs do have more fat than breast, but fatty cuts of steak are going to get you there faster.) For pork - cross tenderloin and chops off your list and go for fatty (and flavorful) cuts like Boston Butt.

Nuts are a great source of fat, but their calories do add up quickly. Here's a list ranked by # of carbs: https://www.trulygoodfoods.com/blog/the-best-nuts-for-keto-diet/

You get more carbs than someone doing keto (they get around 5%) but you could certainly look at keto guidelines and recipes for information and inspiration.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm curious, too, about the 'genetic testing' you've had done to determine your macros. Can you give us more info on that, please?

Also, are you attempting to lose or maintain your current weight?
  • fdlewenstein
    Options
    I'm curious, too, about the 'genetic testing' you've had done to determine your macros. Can you give us more info on that, please?

I am trying to lose weight, 50 pounds so far. My weight loss has two phases. The loosing phase incorporates intermittent fasting and 8 oz protein, 4 cups vegetables, 2 cups fruit for the day. That is a five week phase. The maintenance phase (which I'm doing now) is 1,413 calories and the macros. This is a three week phase. When I have reached my goal I will be (hopefully) maintaining my weight with the 1,413 calories and the macros. I repeat the cycle until I have reached my goal (40 more pounds). The genetic testing is part of the program. The genetic test is used to determine what type of program will work exactly for me and my body type. It's a lot of information. Some I don't really understand, but really interesting.
  • fdlewenstein
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I am trying to lose weight, 50 pounds so far. My weight loss has two phases. The loosing phase incorporates intermittent fasting and 8 oz protein, 4 cups vegetables, 2 cups fruit for the day. That is a five week phase. The maintenance phase (which I'm doing now) is 1,413 calories and the macros. This is a three week phase. When I have reached my goal I will be (hopefully) maintaining my weight with the 1,413 calories and the macros. I repeat the cycle until I have reached my goal (40 more pounds). The genetic testing is part of the program. The genetic test is used to determine what type of program will work exactly for me and my body type. It's a lot of information. Some I don't really understand, but really interesting.

So definitely not done by an actual doctor then.

OP, you wasted your money, this is pseudoscience. And that losing phase sounds decidedly very low calorie.

Don't be so quick to judge.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

So definitely not done by an actual doctor then.

OP, you wasted your money, this is pseudoscience. And that losing phase sounds decidedly very low calorie.

Don't be so quick to judge.

I'm not judging, I'm stating a fact. There is no scientific support for weight loss based on genetic testing. Lots of people get duped by this stuff, you're not alone in that.

And at a rough estimate, without knowing what you're eating for that 8oz of protein, your diet phase comes in at maybe 600 calories a day?

But please, feel free to provide a link to the place you're doing this through to provide more information.
  • fdlewenstein
    Options
    I really appreciate all the advice and I found it helpful. Someone asked for more information about my diet and I willingly shared. I wasn't looking to be "judged". I didn't waste money and I don't believe it is pseudoscience. I understand that everyone has their own opinions and some even feel like they are well educated about health/diets, etc... However, I am an educated individual and I did research before I started working with this doctor (who did go to medical school). I'm sure there are many new trends/ideas/science that we are all not familiar with.

Again...appreciate the feedback.
  • fdlewenstein
    Options
    Thank you.