Tracking activities...

Options
Hey everyone. I was told by a couple people to add my activities (running weights etc) to my app, and allow it to add the calories I used to be added to the “extra gained” calories. I get that. Burn 300 calories running, replenish with 300...

BUT, what about steps
Etc...I have my app set to allow the extra calories, but if I’m at 10000 steps, it’s allows me a lot more calories etc...is this wrong? Or what?

What is everyone doing? What is best?

Replies

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don’t add my steps and I take lots. I find if I do, I over estimate my burn and eat more.

I’m not trying to lose but I’m also not trying to gain
  • brantfordmarkman
    brantfordmarkman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you add your weights or cardio though? I’m looking to loose a little then in turn bulk up
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,159 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to sedentary and I use an activity tracker. If I exceed sedentary level according to my tracker (steps or other movement such as housework), I get extra calories. If, on rare occasions, I don't reach sedentary level, calories are deducted from my goal.
    I eat all of those extra calories my tracker gives me and it works for me.

Just make sure you aren't double counting eg. setting a high activity level in MFP because you walk around at work and then adding those steps as exercise as well.
  • brantfordmarkman
    Options
    That makes sense to me. I am a mechanic so I am pretty active. I guess the calories burnt walking would be added to my allowed right. What about the “physical activity” of lifting tires etc and tightening parts etc???
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    What do you mean the app is set to allow more calories for steps?

Do you have a Fitbit or something linked to mfp?

Or do you mean in setting your activity level on mfp (using a step count as a rough guide)?
  • brantfordmarkman
    Options
    I have a Fitbit linked to the app.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If you have a Fitbit linked to the app, don’t add anything else to mfp (for exercise/activity).

Your “steps” adjustment includes all the calories you’ve burned from all your activity during the day-your work, your workouts, running after kids, grocery shopping-whatever you did. It’s not an adjustment for steps. It’s an adjustment to account t for all the calories you burned over and above whatever your setting is on mfp.

The steps are shown so you can see if the amount/sync happened recently (meaning if mfp says 1678 steps and your Fitbit says 18k, then they need to sync).

But when it does sync-it will include everything.

So you’re covered as is. You don’t need to add anything. That’s just going to complicate things for no reason (the calories are already there).
  • brantfordmarkman
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all