Fiber bad for workouts?

Options
I'm reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women and it's recommended to avoid high fiber, specifically beans, before workouts as the body is busy with digestion afterward. Since I was eating 3 bean turkey butternut squash chili most of the week before the stair treadmill and weights this stood out to me! I didn't notice a difference but usually eat a lot of fiber. Do you have better workouts eating low fiber before working out?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It you're not experiencing any nausea or GI distress then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Only reason I can imagine would be....

k3mm8qs10mxy.png

But it's not something I would ever consider for regular workouts. I try to stay low fibre on very big cycle rides though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods make me feel full and heavy and I don't like feeling full when I workout and it makes me more sluggish. I eat plenty of lentils and beans and oats and whatnot, just not right before a workout. In general I don't really eat much before a workout...maybe a yogurt or something an hour beforehand.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    LOL, I luckily am not usually gassy, that would be one way to keep people off the stair treadmill next to me when there's 15 free machines not as close!