Need advice people with weight problem.

Options
Movemoreguy22
Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
Guys I'm stuck.

I dont no what to do. I weight 10.5 stone at 5ft 7 tall. Im at a heathly weight "apprently" but my arms and legs are long and skinny and boney
My torso ain't to bad If I'm honest, oh and my neck is skinny aswell..
Lifting wise I do compound excerises with barbells. Squats, bench, deadlift, RDL bla bla bla
Do I keep eating more to add more weight and prob gain fat (currently 18% according to machines) and keep lifting or do I just bite the bullet and say this is the way I'm built and stop stressing about it and keep lifting.

Work wise I'm a manual worker moving 10tone of concrete every week day..

Any info will do, even if it's a kick up the *kitten* cheers people xx

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Never stress about lifting, just enjoy the process.

What’s your current workout program
    And how long have you been lifting ?

Personally I’d start looking at recovery, diet and sleep, your job appears very physically taxing, it might simply be that your doing too much
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Never stress about lifting, just enjoy the process.

What’s your current workout program
    And how long have you been lifting ?

Personally I’d start looking at recovery, diet and sleep, your job appears very physically taxing, it might simply be that your doing too much

So 4 weekly. Push/pull so example takes about 45 to 60mins

Explosive.... cleans 4 sets of 5reps
    Knee dominant... Squat 3x10
    Horiz push...Bench 3x10
    Vert push...Shoulder 3x10
    Rolation abs some sort 3x10
    And some bridge hold 3x45secs

Pull
    Explosive....Cleans maybe 4 x5
    Hip dom....Deadlift or RDL 3x10
    Horiz pull.... Row 3x10
    Vert pull... lat or pull up 3x 10
    Rolation.... 3x 10
    Bridge..... 3x 45sec..

Been lifting for years but progress is slowwwwwwwww. That's why im thinking do I need to eat more, prob sleep better aswell.
    Diet ain't to bad to be fair pal

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Could you give us an idea of what your diet looks like?
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If that is you in the photo, you don’t appear long, skinny or bony to me. It’s not a super revealing photo to be sure but, if that is your current appearance more or less, you may be more muscular and look bigger than you think. That said, you have an active exercise regimen and are active in your job as well so you should be safe to just add more calories to bulk up.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    If that is you in the photo, you don’t appear long, skinny or bony to me. It’s not a super revealing photo to be sure but, if that is your current appearance more or less, you may be more muscular and look bigger than you think. That said, you have an active exercise regimen and are active in your job as well so you should be safe to just add more calories to bulk up.

My upper body aint to bad mate, doesnt show my arms or legs etc etc..I probably being paranoid haha
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Could you give us an idea of what your diet looks like?

Yeah so for breakfast I have 100g oats 30g of this go into my fat shake with tbsp chia seeds, 1x whey, tbsp of peanut butter, chocolate spread, 300g almond milk, banana, Greek yogurt.
    Snack I have 100g nuts and raisins and 2 squares of dark choc and apple
    Lunch 250g 5% mince beef, 100g pasta plus sauce.
    Snack peanut butter sandwich and banana
    Dinner what ever we decide to have
    Bedtime. 500g Greek yogurt with berries.
    I might have another fat shake.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Do you record it all on MFP? What does your calorie count come up to usually?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    How strong are you? Guys with 400+# squats generally don’t have skinny legs...
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Do you record it all on MFP? What does your calorie count come up to usually?

4000kcal if I log it properly which I dont
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »
    How strong are you? Guys with 400+# squats generally don’t have skinny legs...

Defo not that haha I'm doing 70kg which is around 154pounds
  • wiigelec
    Options
    Well then I guess you have your answer on what needs to be done...
  • Movemoreguy22
    edited January 2020
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Well then I guess you have your answer on what needs to be done...

Cheers man.. I think that hit the nail on the head...
  • wiigelec
    Options
    Keep in mind that you can eat in a sensible way to minimize fat gain:

https://www.andybaker.com/building-a-simple-diet-for-mass/

What training program are you running? 3x10 is generally not what is used for increasing strength...

• Movemoreguy22
    Options
    I'm using this book called power training by Robert dos remedios. I've tried to do isolation stuff didnt like it found it boring so brought this book
    There was options like 10 reps for fitness. Hypertrophy training 4 sets going 10,8,8,6
    And strength training 4 sets going 5,3,2,1.
    You think I'm better of doing strength???
  • wiigelec
    Options
    Have you ever seen someone who pressed 100kg, benched 150kg, squatted 200kg, and deadlifted 250kg who was “skinny and boney”?

My suggestion would be to do, if you haven’t already, a linear progression program like Starting Strength for a couple months.

Then move on to whatever intermediate style program trips your trigger from the likes of Andy Baker, Wendler, Barbell Medicine, RTS, Juggernaut, Greg Nuckols, Candito etc. Here’s a good place to start with that: https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-programs/

Eat as described above.

Give yourself goals but don’t chase numbers and be patient. 5-10 years of organized training is not unrealistic for getting into that 80-90% flattening part of your strength potential curve.

If “bodybuilding” is your thing you still need to be a lot stronger than you are now so might as well get started down that path...
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Ah cheers mate... I get reading
  • harriett97anderson
    Options
    I'm 5"11 and 8.10 and very skinny need urgently to get help with gaining weight please !
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    I'm 5"11 and 8.10 and very skinny need urgently to get help with gaining weight please !

Mate just double what your eating now.. prob wrong advice but worked for me..