Cutting rice, pasta and getting carbs from veggies and fruit

Options
adchak
adchak Posts: 62 Member
I have cut out grains- oatmeal, rice (white, brown), quinoa, pasta etc. i get my carbs from veggies, fruits, nuts, milk (use half n half in my tea). I have lean protein chicken n fish, sometimes lamb or beef. I have read varied opinions of nutritionists on this. Some say this is bad and in the long run the weight u lose comes back because you’re not eating a balanced meal so your body craves snd compensates for those carbs. Some say its ok.
Have ppl that have lost weight and maintained it been able to do so by cutting grains? I’d like to know from those that have successfully kept the wt off for years. I’ve mainly cut out grains cause my wt loss tebds to happen most quickly when I hit 100 gns if carbs or so and I do this by eating veggies, fruits mainly. Adding grains on top gets me over the 100 gms of carbs and wt loss is hard. Protein intake is 60-70 gms and I have ard 1300-1400 cals a day.

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've been following the Target 100 program for about 7 months now. Among other things is to aim for 100g of carbs a day. I've lost 19 pounds. I'm almost at my goal weight (about 3 lbs away). I find it totally doable. You can have some grains sometimes, just count them in. I don't really like bread or rice that much, but I do like pasta. I can live with zuchini noodles though. If I get a burger, I'll get it lettuce wrapped. Good look.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The 'weight coming back' is potentially one of two things:

1) for some people, restricting certain food groups eventually leads to them having a major blow out, and gaining weight if they are going over their calories.

2) when you increase carbs you also increase water weight (and vice versa with decreasing carbs), due to increased glycogen in your muscles. It's not fat.

Eating lower carb is perfectly fine so long as you're getting a good range of nutritious foods, and you find it sustainable.

I eat around 100g of carbs a day (fruit, vege, dairy), simply because I find carbs the easiest thing to reduce. I don't consider higher carb foods off limits though, if I want them, I have them. Because I know the second I tell myself I can't have something, that's all I'll want.