Eating too little

Options
Now that I am counting my calories I'm having a hard time eating enough. I'm at 850 and it's 7pm. I have been trying to eat healthy things and don't want to "waste" my calories and then end up not eating enough.

I know I need more protein but I'm not much of a meat eater but am trying!

Any healthy snacks you love and don't feel guilty about? Or have you dealt with this? My diary is public if anyone has input.

Replies

• jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well, you already have a apple for a snack often - maybe add some protein to that snack by adding some almond butter, peanut butter, or cheese. Almonds will get you a bit of protein and are quite calorie dense for a small serving.

Do you have any meals when you feel like you could handle more food? Your meals are pretty small, so if you feel like you could eat a bit more, a serving of healthy protein would be a good addition to any meal. Some fish, chicken, beans, tofu, whatever. I have a similar problem with protein and found that I needed to just double the serving of protein for at least one meal a day.

If you have time, you might also want to consider meal prepping a bit so you can plan out your meals in advance to help you to your target.
  • tera43
    tera43 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your thoughtful replies.

I do think a food scale is a good idea! Interesting about the avacado. I do measure things that can be measured but weighing would be more accurate. Thank you for the reminder food is just food.

Good idea on adding something with that apple. I have been shying away from peanut butter because of the calories. I like the idea of doubling the protein. I've gotten stuck on serving sizes. I would have had some turkey deli meat with dinner but was out. I seem to not eat it fast enough and it gets gross. Doubling up protein servings would help that too.

Meal prep is an interesting idea. I could pre enter everything to see how I'm doing.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    tera43 wrote: »
    Thank you both for your thoughtful replies.

I do think a food scale is a good idea! Interesting about the avacado. I do measure things that can be measured but weighing would be more accurate. Thank you for the reminder food is just food.

Good idea on adding something with that apple. I have been shying away from peanut butter because of the calories. I like the idea of doubling the protein. I've gotten stuck on serving sizes. I would have had some turkey deli meat with dinner but was out. I seem to not eat it fast enough and it gets gross. Doubling up protein servings would help that too.

Meal prep is an interesting idea. I could pre enter everything to see how I'm doing.

I recommend getting the food scale, getting used to weighing everything (and make sure you're using the proper nutritional values) before adding more calories. As was mentioned, chances are you're consuming more calories than you think right now.

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also think a food scale & meal planning is a good idea. You can log a generic apple, and it will give you 80 calories. However, if you cut out the core and weigh in grams, you can end up with 120 calories. So your calories on one entry alone can be off by 40 calories. I give this as an example bc I saw the difference bn logging in grams vs just logging.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will help. They give the protein, plus other nutrients that you need. This good if you're not eating a lot of calories, but are not hungry enough for another meal.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will help. They give the protein, plus other nutrients that you need. This good if you're not eating a lot of calories, but are not hungry enough for another meal.

Protein shakes don't often have much in the way of other nutrients, are you perhaps talking about meal replacement shakes?