Calories you burn off in gym HELP

Options
Hi started weight loss a month ago set my goal at 1 lb a week so get about 1500 a day , I also go to gym 3 times a week so my question is has anyone lost weight eating back theses calories burned as I’m in sure what I’m doing

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes, most have. The thing to be aware of is many of the exercise burns are overstated. Many have success by eating back half the burns from exercise and adjusting based on actual results after a couple of months.
  • francheska175
    francheska175 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for quick replies so days I don’t need anything else than my 1500 but today I’m hungry and thought I’d ask then I won’t go over if I give myself that little extra
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back the exercise calories. Your deficit to lose 1 pound per week is included in your 1500 calorie goal. If you exercise that increases the deficit which isn't always a good thing. Too fast a rate of loss is not good. Some people will start out only eating 50% and adjust as necessary. I ate most to all of my exercise calories back and lost weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thanks for quick replies so days I don’t need anything else than my 1500 but today I’m hungry and thought I’d ask then I won’t go over if I give myself that little extra

You can bank your calories to use when you need them. If you have not banked calories before I would start by keeping it limited to no more than 100 banked calories a day and see how that feels.

Keep in mind that if you do not eat enough of the exercise calories it may cause you to get hungry or even hangry. When my energy is low because I haven't eaten enough my hunger is hard to control.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The net calories for 1lb per week is -3500 or -500 per day. Calorie estimates on gym equipment are inflated for marketing purposes, so I divide by 1.5.

Since I am trying to reduce fat, I eat a set amount of calories with the correct macros, then create a net negative calorie total with exercise.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    You kind of have to play with it and see if you are happy with how much weight you are losing. It's really hard to estimate exactly how many calories you burn at the gym. Even when I wear a heart rate monitor, I'm skeptical, so I wouldn't eat them all back. I'd say eat them back, then if you aren't losing weight, cut it back to eating half of them back.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1