is exercise better in the early a.m. or P.m.??

Options
I usually exercise in the morning instead of night. Can exercise at night make you stay awake or produce insomnia or is does make you sleep better? I need to switch up my routine because Iv'e hit a plateau and cant get below 125 lbs, So I'm thinking I should switch the time of day I work-out, would that break my plateau?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't think changing the time of your workout routine will have as much effect on a plateau as changing your workout routine would. Doing the same workouts over and over ..... our body gets used to them.

Sometimes people plateau when they are not eating enough .....sounds strange but sometime upping your calories a bit can have an effect too.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    just a matter of personal preference
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Working out on an empty stomach can help you burn a bit more cals if that's what you're looking for.
    Otherwise just go whenever you feel that you can push yourself the hardest.

I go at night, somewhere from 9-12. So doesn't really matter.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it really matters as long as you exercise at some point during the day. I rotate between early mornings and early evenings depending on my schedule.

As far as your plateau, I agree with the above poster about changing up your routine. I too hit a plateau as I was doing cardio only, as soon as I started adding heavy lifting, my weight started to drop again.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

yep, I used to go to the gym after work, now I go beforehand, and I enjoy it a lot more. I have more energy for the day, and more positive having gotten my exercise in first thing. But as long as you are working out that is is the main thing.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    So I'm thinking I should switch the time of day I work-out, would that break my plateau?

No, you burn virtually the same calories. So i would take a closer look at other variables, like your exercise choices, intensity, frequency, etc. And also your diet.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's a matter of preference. i like to do it in the morning, because no matter how my day goes, at least i've worked out already. to paraphrase jim wendler "it's really hard to bring down a person that had an amazing work out that morning."

others can go work out on their lunch break.

some people like to work out in the evening to get out any frustrations from the day. they look forward to it.

but it's up to you. when will YOU get it done.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I liken it to sex......Morning or night, it's whatever feels right for you.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter I don't think. I workout in the morning 3x a week and then evenings 2x a week usually because of my schedule
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. They do suggest changing up the type of workout you do every few weeks. So try that and see
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't make a difference, but the effect totally depends on the person. I sleep really well after a workout, but I know a lot of people who don't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter and switching from AM to PM is going to do nothing to break a plateau.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I don't think it matters. They do suggest changing up the type of workout you do every few weeks. So try that and see

who is "they"?

in my opinion, boring works. increasing intensity and duration is one thing, but this whole "keep your body guessing" mentality is wrong. it's just people being afraid that one thing isn't working, and they aren't seeing results quick enough so they mix p90x with half marathon training with yoga with power lifting with pole dancing class in the hopes of something working.
  • syk731
    syk731 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I personally find that I have more difficulty falling asleep if I do cardio in the evening. So I run first thing every morning (also so I know that I have it done!) and then I lift in the evening because I don't find that strength training affects my ability to fall asleep.

I'd also consider changing your workout if you've plateaued. What are you doing currently?
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The only way I have broken plateaus is to go harder longer. Add more reps, run an extra mile, reduce 30 seconds off my mile/minute, etc.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Time of day doesn't make a difference, but the effect totally depends on the person. I sleep really well after a workout, but I know a lot of people who don't.

i can't sleep after a work out. i'm up half the night. i like my endorphins and seratonin first thing in the morning, thank you.
  • shelllord
    shelllord Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I run in the morning on an empty stomach I can not run as far so burn less, but people say it's better to exercise on an empty stomach so that's what I do, plus after work I find it hard to motivate myself and sometimes end up skipping a work out altogether x
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    whenever you are more likely to commit to doing it. I like sleeping, A LOT, so i won't drag myself out of bed early to work out. It just works best for me to do it right after work.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Change is good. Change frequently (especially socks).

If exercise is about adaptation and the body adapts to it, it ceases to be as effective (its still good, just not as good). By changing the type and intensity of workouts you prolong the adaptation cycle and can have some really kickass type workouts.

My 2 cents.