Health issue or quit whining?

Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    koakes95 wrote: »
    So this, is my current 270 pound self. No none of my logs were weighed, I use the portion sizes. And sometimes you cant find exactly what you're looking for on the app so have to use the next best thing. When I was young before I started football I saw a nutritionist that taught me much about the value of a good diet. I implemented that throughout high school and ended up with fantastic results. Let it all go, gained my fat back and now doing something similar to what I did before doesnt work. I suppose I should try a food scale. It just seems crazy to me that I'd have to go to that length to lose a couple pounds when i never had to before in my life. And yea, i suppose i should also contact a doctor for a thyroid test. But i always just told myself I'm fine and just have to work harder. It's a tough pill to swallow when 7 years ago I was chizzeled and now I cant trim the bacon at all.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. I get that it's a bit to wrap your mind around, but honestly, for the $15-20 for the food scale, if it doesn't work, you're no further behind than where you are right now. If what you're doing isn't working, then something needs to change, right?
  • koakes95
    koakes95 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Right. Let me change my frame because you guys think I'm getting frustrated when I'm trying to just explain my situation. Which does so happen to be frustrating but that's regardless lol. Basically anywhere you look, people 300 pounds dont struggle to lose a few pounds when excercise and diet come into play. I'm taking leaps and bounds for months and cant budge. I'm on all your side, that there should be a simple solution, or I'm missing something, and from the outside looking in that's very obvious. But, that isnt the case. I've been fit before, I know what it took to get there and I know what I'm doing now vs then. It wasnt that long ago after all. It just wont cut it.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Maybe try focusing on eating a lot more fruits and veggies. 5-10 servings a day! See if you can incorporate apples, green salads, sweet potato or squash...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    To those suggesting getting the thyroid checked, it should be noted that the OP is male. And while males can certainly have thyroid issues, they are significantly less common in men than women (by a factor of several times). And even with thyroid issues, it's not always the issues for weight loss it's made out to be. If OP doesn't have insurance, I would 100% rule out everything first before going the medical route, because I think that is the least likely scenario.

I agree with the others about the food scale. The reason why people push it so much is because by far the number one correct answer when people say "I can't lose weight" is that they are eating more than they think. That is why we are so focused on that.

You also just may need more patience. It was hard to make out from your status, but it seems like you've tried during bouts of insanity, which I believe we're about a month? Sometimes with exercise or a change in routine you can retain more water, and it may not have fully worked it's way out your system. I'd recommend giving whatever method you decide at least a few months of testing. You're 25, you have time to work this out.

And make diet your main focus. Exercise is great, but diet is what will ultimately drive it.

OP said his father has a thyroid issue.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Right. Let me change my frame because you guys think I'm getting frustrated when I'm trying to just explain my situation. Which does so happen to be frustrating but that's regardless lol. Basically anywhere you look, people 300 pounds dont struggle to lose a few pounds when excercise and diet come into play. I'm taking leaps and bounds for months and cant budge. I'm on all your side, that there should be a simple solution, or I'm missing something, and from the outside looking in that's very obvious. But, that isnt the case. I've been fit before, I know what it took to get there and I know what I'm doing now vs then. It wasnt that long ago after all. It just wont cut it.

OP--please forget what was successful in the "past" or what works for "others". Things change. You have to change with them. You have gotten good advice. A food scale is not a huge disaster. So many people on here are using it even when they're at goal weight to watch their macros. Eating "right" or "healthy" does not mean weight loss. The only thing you need is a calorie deficit. That's what you had in the past. How you get there is your choice. Good luck.
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    What everyone said. And if u can’t get a food scale, try to reduce your best guess current intake by a 100 calories a day and see if that works. Give it a couple of weeks.

As an aside, for me it has always helped when I eat my heaviest meal for breakfast, moderate for lunch and mild for dinner. You seem to be doing the opposite.

Hang in there, try these changes and see if they help.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, the weeks where I log my food consistently (as accurately as possible) I lose weight. When I am not as focused on keeping my food diary, I don’t lose weight. Even if you choose not to buy a food scale, my gut says that several weeks of focused food logging will yield better results than you currently have experienced.

My recommendation is focus on consistenly logging first. Then work to improve the accuracy of your logging.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    So this, is my current 270 pound self. No none of my logs were weighed, I use the portion sizes. And sometimes you cant find exactly what you're looking for on the app so have to use the next best thing. When I was young before I started football I saw a nutritionist that taught me much about the value of a good diet. I implemented that throughout high school and ended up with fantastic results. Let it all go, gained my fat back and now doing something similar to what I did before doesnt work. I suppose I should try a food scale. It just seems crazy to me that I'd have to go to that length to lose a couple pounds when i never had to before in my life. And yea, i suppose i should also contact a doctor for a thyroid test. But i always just told myself I'm fine and just have to work harder. It's a tough pill to swallow when 7 years ago I was chizzeled and now I cant trim the bacon at all.

If you can’t find the right food, enter it in yourself. If you use the barcode scanner, just make sure the entries match what’s on the label. Food content can change over time. (So check your own custom entries as well from time to time). It’s a little more time on the front end, but then you have an entry you know is correct to use, which is faster in the future.

Portion sizes, eyeballing, and measuring can be really inaccurate. Weighing is accurate.

I have hypothyroidism and the difference it actually makes in slowing metabolism is small (even when unmedicated). The bigger effects are through lowering your regular activity level (not moving as much and having less intense workouts) because of fatigue. Depression and some medications can have this side effect as well. Get the test when you can, and be sure to understand what your levels are in comparison to the range of normal.

Be patient with yourself. A lot of us have been there.