Best beginner workouts to build muscle at home?

Options
saggynaggy65
saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone! I am 54 years old and in pretty good shape but I find that I need some toning. I don't like to go to the gym for personal reasons. I haven't lifted anything for a long time so I would prefer to start with a beginner program, I don't want to injure myself. Does anyone have any recommendations for a free beginner workout at home? TIA!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I'm your age, and even though I'm not a beginner, when I was evaluating several different so-called beginner programs, I found that they really were not. Additionally, flipping around books like "New Rules of Lifting for Women," "Strong," and "Strong Curves" was super tedious.

I'm doing The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too! - it's a small, straightforward, simple book that can easily be done at home.

I started with a few dumb bells, and eventually added a bench and a set of dumb bells with a rack:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNW3OQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81oqF8h5rmL._SL1500_.jpg
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    YouTube has lots of body weight calisthenics channels. Most require no equipment at all. From there you can add resistance bands or small dumbbells or kettlebells. Generally you follow a push pull format. One channel I saw a few days ago had beginner workout for older people that required nothing fancy. Do a search for Minus the Gym.