Stubborn Belly Fat

Options
I'm a 6'2" 52yo long distant runner, logging in ~1,000 miles per year. Last year, I ran a half-marathon every month + a few shorter races. Despite all that running, I noticed in the fall that my weight was creeping up (You can't out run a bad diet.) I got back on track January 1 and returned to calorie counting and strength training. I've dropped 11lbs (down to 170lbs), and I can see some nice muscle definition in my arms, chest, and legs.

The problem is I have this belly fat that continues to hang on. While the rest of me looks trim, there is this gut hanging over my belt. I'm not looking for six-pack abs. I just would like a flat stomach. The problem is if I lose more weight, I will start to look gaunt and sickly. I can already just see my ribs and hip bones. I decided this week, I'm not going to drop any more weight. I just don't know why I can't get this belly fat to leave.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    It's often the last place for fat to go for a lot of people.

The recomp thread in the Maintenance board (link in Most Helpful posts which is pinned at the top of the board) might be useful. You can't spot reduce fat but you can slowly build muscle whilst reducing body fat.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    CaveGoose wrote: »
    I'm a 6'2" 52yo long distant runner, logging in ~1,000 miles per year. Last year, I ran a half-marathon every month + a few shorter races. Despite all that running, I noticed in the fall that my weight was creeping up (You can't out run a bad diet.) I got back on track January 1 and returned to calorie counting and strength training. I've dropped 11lbs (down to 170lbs), and I can see some nice muscle definition in my arms, chest, and legs.

The problem is I have this belly fat that continues to hang on. While the rest of me looks trim, there is this gut hanging over my belt. I'm not looking for six-pack abs. I just would like a flat stomach. The problem is if I lose more weight, I will start to look gaunt and sickly. I can already just see my ribs and hip bones. I decided this week, I'm not going to drop any more weight. I just don't know why I can't get this belly fat to leave.

Any suggestions?

A few things to consider: it might not be belly fat it might be bloating. It could also be chronically elevated cortisol levels that make you hold onto stubborn belly fat. Another thing could be to do a recomposition where you switch to more strength training and keep calories the same. It will make you look much defined and muscular at the same weight.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    It might be that yr mileage is hindering muscle building. Aka interference effect. If you are serious about a 6 pack it would be worth seeing a coach who has experience of programming strength training for long distance runners.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Most of what you’ve lost is hopefully water, not fat. 11 pounds of fat loss in a month would be a very unsafe pace for someone who sounds like they are at or near their optimal BMI range. It’s common to lose a lot of water rapidly in the first few months of calorie restriction.

I would agree that recomp is probably the best option for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to envision a man 6'2" and 170 lbs as having much fat at all much less belly fat. Can you post a pic of what you mean?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to envision a man 6'2" and 170 lbs as having much fat at all much less belly fat. Can you post a pic of what you mean?

A number of years ago I got to about 180 at 6'1 and had a huge belly with the arms of a 12 yo girl. I had lost nearly a hundred pounds during an extended illness and the subsequent treatment and tried to regain weight by just eating... ended up the very definition of "skinny-fat". If he doesn't have a picture of what that looks like, I can certainly dig one up... although for me it was primarily visceral fat as there was zero belt "overhang" or anything I could grab - just looked like I swallowed a basketball. ;)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I've seen people built like that but no people that were running half marathons.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I've seen people built like that but no people that were running half marathons.

Had the same thought. Sure, running isn't anything like an optimal or even good hypertrophy program, but it does require putting on some muscle more than a sedentary person.

I think at least part of skinny-fat will be the kind of insulin resistance lack of physical activity causes. A runner is also pretty likely to be avoiding that in addition.
  • thescouselander77
    thescouselander77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar position except I don't run but I do lift heavy at the gym. It's early days for me; I've lost a about 2 kg since the beginning of the month and I've no idea where I've lost it. It's not muscle as I'm lifting heavier than I was and I'm not visibly carrying fat anywhere else is if it hasn't come off my belly where have I lost it?

Anyway, I'd be very interested in the answer to this one too.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    CaveGoose wrote: »

Any suggestions?

I agree with the input above. There is no need to drop more weight. I think that if you now eat at maintenance and maintain a reasonable training schedule, you'll be noticing some changes in the right direction. You may never achieve a "washboard" given age and skin elasticity issues.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

All the Middle Aged blokes at my wife’s running club look like that, skinny with a gut