Morning workouts?

Options
Schula03
Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
Just curious, How do you make yourself get up to work out in the morning? I would like to get up and work out in the morning, but after I work all day, work out, take care of my son, clean, cook...it gets late and I am exhausted in the morning. Any pointers or motivations would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me - wake up, work out and then shower. You have to go to bed a bit earlier and I know how hard that is with a family!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    that's how i motivate myself...if i don't do it first thing, then i won't at all---or it will be hard to find the time. plus, if i workout in the morning, i drink more water and eat much healthier. it leaves me feeling amazing and energized for the rest of the day!

good luck!
  • Plantpot
    Plantpot Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: I need the same tips,,,,, every night I think right I will get up early and do some exercise, I am currently doing the 30 day shred, so would love to get up and do a shred before work, which is only 20 mins, so I wouldnt actually have to get up that much earlier.... but I can NEVER get out of bed!!! :grumble: :grumble:

I have set reminders on my phone promting me to get up and exercise, but I just turn them off and roll over and go back to sleep :yawn: :yawn:

My other half leaves for work half an hour before I am even out of bed and I ask him to encourage me to get up early...... he does mention it to me in the mornings, but thinks he knows better than too push it as I am defo not a morning person!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This isn't intended to come across like a smarty-pants or anything. Just my thoughts.... JUST DO IT! If you aren't committed to making a change, you wont do it. I promise you, once you get up in the morning, get the workout out of the way, you will feel great for the rest of the day! And then each day will get easier because you know how good it feels!
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is a challenge. I am usually dragging myself out of the bed, but I am fine once I get moving. I find that if I don't get my workout done in the morning, the likelihood of getting it done in the evening is highly unlikely, or its half hearted because I'm tired. Evenings at my house are crazy!!! I notice that I have a lot more energy throughout the day when I do morning workouts. That reason alone is a huge motivator for me. I work hard to organize my week by cooking more than one meal on Sunday so that I don't have to worry about cooking every night (left overs, or just heat and go). I come home in the evening heat up dinner, get everyone fed and situated, and I am able to relax before it gets too late. I have come to love my morning workouts just for the daily energy boost; it takes some getting used to, but its become second nature for me.

Chris :flowerforyou:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It's super hard for me, also. But if I don't do it in the morning, it generally won't get done at all. So once the alarm goes off at 5am, I kind of lay there for a minute. It never fails that I try to talk myself out of getting up, promising myself that I will work out when I get home. And then the other voice chimes in and is like "no, you won't. get your fatass up NOW." haha. So basically, I just force myself to do it with the knowledge that once it's done I can go about my day and enjoy my evening without worrying about working out.
  • beutiful5678
    beutiful5678 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i am a morning person but i hate getting out of bed (it's just so comfy!) and i hate that tired feeling i have just after waking up. what i do is:

1) drink water before going to bed. not too much or else you will have to get up and go in the middle of the night - ugh! - but if you drink just enough you will need to get up and go at just about the right time in the morning. (and this helps with the whole drinking more water thing - my vice.)

2) set two alarms - one on my alarm clock and one on my phone for half an hour later. when my alarm clock goes off i get up and look over my e-mails on my phone and review my schedule for the day and just give myself time to wake up. then, when my phone goes off half and hour later i am more awake and (somewhat) ready to face the world.

hope this helps!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Adding....
    You have to find a schedule that works for your lifestyle. I too work full-time, come home to take care of my 22 mo old son, cook dinner, clean, etc....

What's working for me now:
    I use my lunch break to get in a 30 minute workout (strength training). We are fortunate to have a little gym where I work. When I get home from work, I take my son in the stroller for a 30 minute walk or jog. Then I come home and start dinner, etc.
    On weekends, I don't get to the gym. But, I do take my son for a 30 min jog or a long, long walk first thing in the morning.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I realize that I'll have more energy afterwards and that's what gets me up. I'm lucky to have 3 days of work where I don't have to leave the house until 9:50 so if I get up at 8:30, I can fit in 30 minutes outside on the pavement, get in and shower and be on time for work. Did it this morning and I feel really accomplished!! I love working out at night too, because then I'm exhausted and sleep GREAT! haha
  • anthemfamily
    anthemfamily Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too must get it done in the morning or not at all. When I really don't want to get up I will tell myself that I will only walk (I usually run). Then from there I will run for only 5 minutes, after 5 minutes I am into my workout and don't want to stop. I'm not sure what it means that I can trick myself, but hey it works for me.

Traci
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's super hard for me, also. But if I don't do it in the morning, it generally won't get done at all. So once the alarm goes off at 5am, I kind of lay there for a minute. It never fails that I try to talk myself out of getting up, promising myself that I will work out when I get home. And then the other voice chimes in and is like "no, you won't. get your fatass up NOW." haha. So basically, I just force myself to do it with the knowledge that once it's done I can go about my day and enjoy my evening without worrying about working out.

And I say "AMEN" to that !!! LMAO!!!
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others who say that exercising in the morning really does make you feel better all day!

I LOVE my morning workouts - I didn't used to though! I was a terrible morning person! But after a week or so of literally FORCING myself out of bed to do a 30 Day Shred circuit before work I've learned to love it! Mainly because everyone else in the house (partner and 2 kids) are all asleep - I put the cats out (god they get under my feet haha!) and the front room is ALL MINE for 45 mins - just to work out in peace! Without being hassled!

It means I know I have deffinately done some exercise that day so if something does come up and I can't do my 2nd workout that I had planned it's not such a big deal as atleast I've done SOMETHING!

Good luck in getting into the routine! It's deffinately a good one ot get into! :)
    -x-x-