Anyone else here with an autoimmune disease?

Options
Hey guys, I’ve been a member for awhile and have met some really great people here and formed some awesome friendships! But I’m wondering if there are any others that battle some kind of autoimmune disease here as well? I have been battling Multiple Sclerosis (aka MS) for about 4 1/2 years and connecting with others that just “get it” is really helpful! I’ve met some wonderful ppl with MS on different social media sights, but I’m looking for ppl that are actively working at a healthy lifestyle to help combat their disease.

Feel free to friend request me and tell me a little bit about yourself and if you want to share successes/failures on what’s helped you, that’s even better! Looking forward to meeting new people and cheering each other on!! 👏🏻👏🏻🤗

Replies

• The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have two autoimmune disorders. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and a biopsy confirmed I have Celiac disease.

I cannot eat gluten due to Celiac disease and I have given up dairy, which made a dramatic impact on my inflammation. I cook everything from scratch. Buy only grass-fed meat at a local butcher store. Lots of fish and lots of vegetables.

When I started here at MFP, I weighed 312 lbs. I was on steroids and 400 mg Plaquenil. The doctors told me I should go on methotrexate, which works like chemotherapy. The next step would have been weekly injections with terrible side effects. It scared me!

Not knowing what I was doing, not having a plan, I started eating healthier. As much as I love dairy products, I was willing to give them up for 30 days. When I saw the difference in my disease, I never went back.

Today, three days later. I weigh 158 lbs. I am off all my RA meds, my RA is in remission. My Rheumatoid factor is below 2, which means none-existing (down from 60). I still see my Rheumatologist every six months, but I am not really sure why.

The doctor does not approve of my lifestyle. Doctors don't know too much about nutrition, that's a fact. A friend of mine, who has MS, was the one who "made me" try an anti-inflammatory diet. I tried it because I didn't want it to work. Medications sounded so much easier. I did not want to be in control of my disease. I wanted an easy way out.

I am happy with my lifestyle. Come to find out my autoimmune disorders work like a shield, they force me to make healthy choices. Today I Belly dance and do Thai Chi every day. I walk 3 miles every morning. Things have changed!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hi
    welcome :)

i have behcets, which is kinda like fibro with surprises

i think there is a few different groups re: autoimmune disorders
  • AEWilliams7639
    AEWilliams7639 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have MS and T1 diabetes. I would love to connect with others that are in to working out and nutrition. I love this app and use it to keep my macros in check. Easing back in to strength training, so I'd like to hear how others with autoimmune are handling their workouts.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring 🥰
    I have two autoimmune disorders. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and a biopsy confirmed I have Celiac disease.

I cannot eat gluten due to Celiac disease and I have given up dairy, which made a dramatic impact on my inflammation. I cook everything from scratch. Buy only grass-fed meat at a local butcher store. Lots of fish and lots of vegetables.

When I started here at MFP, I weighed 312 lbs. I was on steroids and 400 mg Plaquenil. The doctors told me I should go on methotrexate, which works like chemotherapy. The next step would have been weekly injections with terrible side effects. It scared me!

Not knowing what I was doing, not having a plan, I started eating healthier. As much as I love dairy products, I was willing to give them up for 30 days. When I saw the difference in my disease, I never went back.

Today, three days later. I weigh 158 lbs. I am off all my RA meds, my RA is in remission. My Rheumatoid factor is below 2, which means none-existing (down from 60). I still see my Rheumatologist every six months, but I am not really sure why.

The doctor does not approve of my lifestyle. Doctors don't know too much about nutrition, that's a fact. A friend of mine, who has MS, was the one who "made me" try an anti-inflammatory diet. I tried it because I didn't want it to work. Medications sounded so much easier. I did not want to be in control of my disease. I wanted an easy way out.

I am happy with my lifestyle. Come to find out my autoimmune disorders work like a shield, they force me to make healthy choices. Today I Belly dance and do Thai Chi every day. I walk 3 miles every morning. Things have changed!

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with a number of Autoimmune Disorders, and the struggle is real. I am here for support if anyone needs it, and to be a friend!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I'm not living with MS but the issue is close to my heart. So just some free resources which may be helpful to others...

For those living with MS in the States: The National MS Society has good online publications (and you can speak to one of their MS Navigators)

If you're in Canada like I am: The MS Society of Canada has the same, but with a Canadian focus. You can reach their Navigator team here