beachbody ppl.....advice please

Options
halfway through insanity, LOVE it!!! I chose insanity to kick-start my fitness and weightloss after my second pregnancy in 2 years (DD was 22 months when new arrival was born) I started at 8 weeks post partum (I had a c-section so couldn't exercise before 6 weeks anyway)
So i'm down to 140lb (i'm 5ft 8 so I'm not overweight or anything) and used to be (albeit primarily/all cardio) a gym person. I Insanity is helping me improve my fitness levels, push myself again and lose weight.
I'm hoping in another 5 weeks of it I will lose another 7 1/2 pounds which would put me at 132.5 I have a slim frame so my goal weight is 118-125 we shall see how it goes but obviosuly there is still more weight to lose. BUT I also want to start building muscle. I've NEVER done this before, ever. BUT a few of my mummy friends have said the ONLY way to banish that wobbly skin after babies is to build muscle. THIS is why I say 118-125. I'd be happyat 125 if I'm "tighter" if that makes sense, but have no idea what I would weight etc so this is just a "guestimate" as I don't have any way to measure BF% etc.

ANYWAY,
Looking at p90x I am concerned there wouldn't be enough cardio in it to keep me losing lbs and I DO still want to lose weight, not just build muscle, I'm not at a stage yet where I can JUST focus on building muscle. I hope that makes sense.

SO I want to know what you guys think I should do

1, do another round of insanity, get down to my goal weight and then do p90x (BUT I'd still want to be doing some cardio??"
2, do p90x - theres enough cardio to keep my fitness levels up?
3, do p90x and do 3 days of insanity too (the cardio type dvds)
4, do p90x and other cardio like runnin or rowing machine 3 times a week
5, do p90x and another beachbody dvd like asylum or t25??? (I don't have the time to do insanity and p90x double, I only exercise at night, mornings are crammed full enough!)

Replies

• jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    halfway through insanity, LOVE it!!! I chose insanity to kick-start my fitness and weightloss after my second pregnancy in 2 years (DD was 22 months when new arrival was born) I started at 8 weeks post partum (I had a c-section so couldn't exercise before 6 weeks anyway)
    So i'm down to 140lb (i'm 5ft 8 so I'm not overweight or anything) and used to be (albeit primarily/all cardio) a gym person. I Insanity is helping me improve my fitness levels, push myself again and lose weight.
    I'm hoping in another 5 weeks of it I will lose another 7 1/2 pounds which would put me at 132.5 I have a slim frame so my goal weight is 118-125 we shall see how it goes but obviosuly there is still more weight to lose. BUT I also want to start building muscle. I've NEVER done this before, ever. BUT a few of my mummy friends have said the ONLY way to banish that wobbly skin after babies is to build muscle. THIS is why I say 118-125. I'd be happyat 125 if I'm "tighter" if that makes sense, but have no idea what I would weight etc so this is just a "guestimate" as I don't have any way to measure BF% etc.

ANYWAY,
    Looking at p90x I am concerned there wouldn't be enough cardio in it to keep me losing lbs and I DO still want to lose weight, not just build muscle, I'm not at a stage yet where I can JUST focus on building muscle. I hope that makes sense.

SO I want to know what you guys think I should do

1, do another round of insanity, get down to my goal weight and then do p90x (BUT I'd still want to be doing some cardio??"
    2, do p90x - theres enough cardio to keep my fitness levels up?
    3, do p90x and do 3 days of insanity too (the cardio type dvds)
    4, do p90x and other cardio like runnin or rowing machine 3 times a week
    5, do p90x and another beachbody dvd like asylum or t25??? (I don't have the time to do insanity and p90x double, I only exercise at night, mornings are crammed full enough!)

Why not just do an Insanity/P90X hybrid schedule (which is pretty much what your Option #3 is)..........just Google "insanity p90x hybrid" and you'll find many versions to use, and they're all good. You'll still get the cardio of Insanity and then the circuit training/weight training of P90X...........remember, muscle isn't a bad thing. If you are looking to burn fat, cardio will burn fat while you are doing it, but lean muscle on your body is burning fat when you're doing nothing.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What jeremyw1977 said. My suggestion would be the Insanity / P90X hybrid schedule. Congratulations on your progress!!!
  • amezysk
    amezysk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'd be surprised if you didn't gain some good muscle with Insanity alone - it incorporates enough body weight resistance.
    But as the previous poster stated, if you find that's not enough by the end of the program, the hybrid is probably excellent too (I've never done it).

One other possibility (if you don't mind spending the money) is to grab one of the Asylums. They incorporate some weight training, but are still very heavy on the cardio.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and congrats on all the progress you've already made!!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Agreed! P90x/insanity hybrid is the best of both worlds! I'd highly recommend it!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I am doing almost exclusively strength training right now. I was skeptical, but I've read a lot of success stories from those who lift and do little cardio. I'm surprised by how great I still feel. I warm up with a few minutes on the treadmill (I'm a gym rat right now, lol) and then focus on lifting heavy. I can tell that my heartrate is still up, though not the same as if I was running for the entire time. Eating at a deficit, I won't build a lot of muscle but will burn fat. It's too early to give you definite results, but you can check back with me if you want.

My point is, you don't have to do lots of cardio to lose weight. As long as you maintain a decent deficit, you will lose weight. Go ahead and do the p90x if you want to, see how it makes you feel. If you find yourself craving more cardio, add in a day or two, but I'm betting you'll feel like it's enough.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i agree with all of the above posters. Sounds like P90X/Insanity Hybrid is right for you. But I would also mention that T25 can also get your body pretty hard and lost weight in the process. And no one can complain with only 25 minutes a day - 5 days a week. Congrats on your success so far and keep at it!
  • bdwill83
    bdwill83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're up to purchasing another workout, I recommend Les Mills Combat. I'm finishing week 6 today and have really enjoyed the workouts. They're 30-60 minutes and I always burn 700-1200 calories per workout. I'm down 12 lbs so far.

I did p90x last year and did a week or 2 of Insanity and it wasn't quite for me.
  • emmamc252
    emmamc252 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you don't have to do lots of cardio to lose weight. As long as you maintain a decent deficit, you will lose weight. Go ahead and do the p90x if you want to, see how it makes you feel. If you find yourself craving more cardio, add in a day or two, but I'm betting you'll feel like it's enough.
    [/quote]

this is the other thing that I was wondering but forgot to say! IF i did p90x witha caloric defecit would I still get the same kind of results ie would I still build a bit of muscle? this is why I was thinking I might need to get back down to my goal weight before starting it? then I can focus solely on improving physique rather than losing weight and improving.
    I don't mind taking my time, although we are going on holiday in decemeber and would like to be less "skinny fat" if possible.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree about the hybrid schedule. I am doing a different hybrid schedule, but they are the best of both worlds.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    you don't have to do lots of cardio to lose weight. As long as you maintain a decent deficit, you will lose weight. Go ahead and do the p90x if you want to, see how it makes you feel. If you find yourself craving more cardio, add in a day or two, but I'm betting you'll feel like it's enough.

this is the other thing that I was wondering but forgot to say! IF i did p90x witha caloric defecit would I still get the same kind of results ie would I still build a bit of muscle? this is why I was thinking I might need to get back down to my goal weight before starting it? then I can focus solely on improving physique rather than losing weight and improving.
    I don't mind taking my time, although we are going on holiday in decemeber and would like to be less "skinny fat" if possible.

My understanding is that you won't really build a lot of muscle with a calorie deficit, no matter what exercise program you're doing. To gain muscle you actually need a surplus But you CAN increase strength, and by reducing your fat and maintaining your muscle, you'll look a lot more "toned."

I'm going to see what I look like when I get down another 5 or 10 pounds and then decide if I want to start playing with the bulking/cutting cycle to gain any more muscle mass. I don't want to look like a body builder, so I don't want to get my bf% too low (that, and as a woman, it's not too healthy, IMO), but my husband and I agree that a muscular look is hot, so we'll see … :wink:

edited to fox quote format
  • CARBLEGEND
    CARBLEGEND Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    absolutely....nice job mathjulz....heavy llifting IS CARDIO...just watch diet...when I do reads, benches squats etc. my heart is racing long after....its all about what and how much you are wolfing down throughout the day:))
    Kristian
  • cgeorge5555
    cgeorge5555 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has suggested, P90X / Insanity Hybrid would be the way to go if you're wanting to stick with at home workouts. Since you've done most of Insanity you'll definitely be craving more in the form of cardio while doing P90X exclusively. I've done P90X to completion and wrapping up my second round of the Hybrid and its yielded the best results overall. I used the schedule available at Beachbody's website. You can copy and paste the URL in your address bar.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/d35f8de1-d294-4585-9b3a-1d7c5b21c37a
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    P90x has 3 options, normal, lean and doubles, doubles is adding more cardio, so your working out 2 times a day. If you havnt done p90x before i wouldnt be doing both insanity and p90x just yet, take into considerations you dont know the moves, it may be too much for you, or you'll find you only need one to get the results your after. Building muscle burns fat after a workout, cardio just makes it burn during unless your doing interval cardio which will burn after your workout too, however building muscle would be the best bet in the long run.
    P90x also requires equipment. Workouts vary upto an hour and a half.
    When i first got it, i did 6 days and lost 11 cm's over my body, then again doing the 30day shred, 7 days and i lost 11.4cms. Its about finding what is right for you. These results are easily achieved when you havnt been active, or are new to a program.
    Good Luck!