Gluten sensitivity

Options
Is it possible to develop gluten sensitivity anytime? I've always eaten gluten, but since I've been on my weight loss journey I've been eating less carbs/gluten. I've been using more gluten free recipes because they tend to be lower carbs. Just wondering?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I think the only way to know is medical testing. I've got a friend who tested negative for celiac yet has IBS like symptoms when consuming gluten. Allergies can develop at any point in your life (and some of them are a great big pain in the tookus.)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's possible to develop a sensitivity to anything at any point. It's hard to tell if your symptoms coincided with dieting because you've likely made too many food changes to pinpoint the trigger.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's possible to develop a sensitivity to anything at any point. It's hard to tell if your symptoms coincided with dieting because you've likely made too many food changes to pinpoint the trigger.

That's how I feel! How can I determine a possible trigger? I have had so many food and exercise changes.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to develop gluten sensitivity anytime? I've always eaten gluten, but since I've been on my weight loss journey I've been eating less carbs/gluten. I've been using more gluten free recipes because they tend to be lower carbs. Just wondering?

I'm sorry, but what symptoms are we talking about? I don't see any listed. Choosing to consume less gluten and carbs is not a symptom of gluten sensitivity.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think the only way to know is medical testing. I've got a friend who tested negative for celiac yet has IBS like symptoms when consuming gluten. Allergies can develop at any point in your life (and some of them are a great big pain in the tookus.)

IIRC, there isn't a test that can be done for non celiac gluten sensitivity. So if anything, one might have to try an elimination diet to see if there are any symptoms. But yea, people can certainly get allergies or sensitivities at any point in their life.