Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Well, apparently 80 ml loss of blood is normal: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44365249/#Comment_44365249

When I was fighting with the VA to get them to prescribe tranexamic acid it was important for me to be able to quantity my "heavy bleeding". I have a 30 ml capacity menstrual cup and if I empty it 40 times that's 1200 ml, so 15 x the normal amount of 80 ml :(

When I learned that 80mL was "normal" I was SHOCKED! That's maybe a couple of hours on my heavier days. When I told the doctor that I go through a cup, plus a pad, plus clothes (sigh) in under an hour sometimes, he was more than happy to give me a presciption.

The tranexamic acid tablets for heavy bleeding have made a huge difference to me. My iron levels are now normal (no supplements), and I have so much more energy in general, plus I can leave the house on those heavy days without an arsenal of supplies and spare clothing!

I wish I had spoken to my doctor about it years ago - but it was just my "normal".

Well, in case this helps - your doctor may not have known about it years ago. Two years ago, I had to educate my GYN about it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Well, apparently 80 ml loss of blood is normal: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44365249/#Comment_44365249

When I was fighting with the VA to get them to prescribe tranexamic acid it was important for me to be able to quantity my "heavy bleeding". I have a 30 ml capacity menstrual cup and if I empty it 40 times that's 1200 ml, so 15 x the normal amount of 80 ml :(

When I learned that 80mL was "normal" I was SHOCKED! That's maybe a couple of hours on my heavier days. When I told the doctor that I go through a cup, plus a pad, plus clothes (sigh) in under an hour sometimes, he was more than happy to give me a presciption.

The tranexamic acid tablets for heavy bleeding have made a huge difference to me. My iron levels are now normal (no supplements), and I have so much more energy in general, plus I can leave the house on those heavy days without an arsenal of supplies and spare clothing!

I wish I had spoken to my doctor about it years ago - but it was just my "normal".

I reached the point where on top of the heavy liquid flow I was expelling semi-solid, gelid masses of blood the size of my fist multiple times an hour, and it went on for months. I finally got in to see the doctor and was prescribed a hormonal contraceptive to get it under control, which fortunately worked really well.