Adapting workouts to PMS?

Options
So currently feeling really tired and fatigued due to PMS. I’m doing upper body today and I will make the workout easier. Just wondering if I should even bother? Or should I skip the workouts? I’m planning on doing less reps at the same weight and maybe longer rest periods. Do any other women do this too or do you just push through your ‘normal’ workout routine?

Replies

• rowegrundy
    rowegrundy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always take it really easy when PMS hits! I eat clean, drink lots of water and go for a brisk walk, give myself a day to recharge.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just do yoga or PT exercises and some dog-walking when PMS hits, maybe swimming in summertime. None of the weight lifting or elliptical. I do try to burn some calories as I'm likely to overeat at TOM but I just dont push it for 3-4 days.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I dose resistance training using auto regulation. The intensity and some smaller compinents of volume can be governed much easier for all issues humans have.

The feedback I get from females who are experiencing PMS or mentration is extremely positive. Whatever cramps, bloating, etc...they ate experiencing before training, subside considerably after training is complete.

I would highly recommended using auto regulation as a long term training strategy.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I dose resistance training using auto regulation. The intensity and some smaller compinents of volume can be governed much easier for all issues humans have.

The feedback I get from females who are experiencing PMS or mentration is extremely positive. Whatever cramps, bloating, etc...they ate experiencing before training, subside considerably after training is complete.

I would highly recommended using auto regulation as a long term training strategy.

Auto regulation?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Our coach always says ‘light training’ in the days before/during your period. Listen to your body and if you feel good, train as you wish, but if you’re feeling sore, sluggish and exhausted then give yourself a break! Don’t beat yourself up for taking it easy but maybe consider if you might feel better after doing something - perhaps a long or fast walk rather than run training or a swim rather than gym work.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually do my regularly planned workout. I've only had cramps one time that were bad enough to need to change my plan. I felt them coming on, but I was out of town and couldn't get to my ibuprofen in time to ward them off! Being proactive is key.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I usually do my workout as planned and as Chieflrg mentioned, the workout seems to take the edge off my cramps - that said, some days I have to lower my weight or my reps because I SIMPLY CANNOT move what I normally would the rest of the month.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I do my regularly planned workout, regardless. If I'm feeling sluggish I'll pep up with red bull beforehand and possibly a nap afterwards if I'm not busy. But my monthly cycle is no excuse to skip or modify my workout.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the day for me. Some cycles I will switch a scheduled workout and rest day around so that the rest day takes care of that one really sluggish, dizzy, fatigued day I always have. Sometimes I will downgrade the intensity like you were talking about. Sometimes I will push through. My heart rate and how it responds to simple activity will tell me a lot about what I should do.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just listen to my body. Sometimes that means I can do everything as normal, sometimes that means dropping the weight a little and doing the same reps, sometimes that means scrapping working out altogether that day and moving that workout to a different day. I take it cycle by cycle. What happened last month, may or may not happen the next month.

Truthfully, my biggest issue with PMS/period is controlling how much I eat. I get so so so hungry around that time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I don't experience PMS thankfully but my periods are god-awful and there is one day or two that I just skip the gym altogether. No regrets from me. It just aint happening. I have very heavy periods and it's even hard for me to do basic things like go to work. (I do anyway but it's so inconvenient lol)
  • s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love that I stumbled on this post today. Today is day 2 of my period (I'm usually on it for 3-4 days) and my cramps on the first day were debilitating (like call off work and lay in fetal position for five hours debilitating). My period came three days earlier than expected this month and I admittedly skipped the gym Friday and Saturday this weekend (was very emotional and exhausted, couldnt figure out why until yesterday). But I started going back on Sunday, because I wasn't going to let a few bad days turn into a week. Haven't taken a day off since then, but my cramps were awful yesterday and then this afternoon. Focusing more on cardio and core exercises while I'm on the rag. Core work outs and yoga poses that stretch the hips, lower back, and core seem to help a little. The cardio is definitely not helping reduce my cramps whatsoever. I'd say if nothing else, do some light strength training and definitely some yoga during this time of month. Like everyone else had said, just listen to your body and do what you think is best.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I cut myself some slack when PMT/PMS stage. I also realise I eat a lot more which motivates me to move more.
    I exercise during cramps because it helps get rid of them (weird but true)
    One slower work out is still better than none. Listen to your body x
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this helps people doing serious workouts or having serious menstrual issues, but:

I noticed early that if flow started when I was awake and normally active, the cramps were much less of a problem than if flow started in the middle of the night when I was in bed. Then in my early twenties, I started doing very simple yoga exercises every day for just a few minutes. The cramps vanished, and stayed vanished even when I was only doing the warmup stretching exercises that I could do from a standing position.

I figured that my muscle tone was so marginal (not being a gym rat or anything close to it...) that the little bit of improvement from such a brief yoga routine made a big difference. So I'm not surprised to hear that people who are more into exercise than I ever was have noticed that continuing certain routines during their period can help.

From just my own experience, I would suggest making sure that girls learn how to do brief daily stretching exercises before they hit puberty and start menstruating. It might be enough to avoid the cramping problems entirely for most of them, and may help reduce pain for those with serious menstrual disorders.
  • katiepolite
    katiepolite Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since losing nearly 40 lbs my periods and cramps have gotten a lot worse. I feel like it should be the opposite but oh well, can't win them all! My doctor said my hormones are trying to level out so I'll be interested to see how things progress as I work on losing my last 20-25 lbs.
    I have found that there may be one or two days where I'm stuck in bed but on the other days I actually feel better after working out. I'll usually do my regularly scheduled workout (strength training 3 days per week, cardio 6 days per week) but throw in some additional stretching, longer rest time between sets, or take a half or full mile off my cardio. I try to listen to what my body says and be kind to myself but sometimes a tough workout is what I need to tire me out and burn off some of the pain!