How do you track Yoga

Options
I’m new to using MFP app. I want to track yoga in the exercise but can’t figure it out. Help!!??

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    There is an entry for yoga in the data base under cardio. I use "stretching, hatha yoga"
  • Kitty121964
    Kitty121964 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    When I've done yoga it wasn't a calorie-burner.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Some classes are, some aren’t.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It depends very much on the yoga you're doing. Many "gentle," "restorative," or other low intensity practices would not burn many calories at all. Some "flow" or similar classes would burn more calories.

In general I do not log my yoga because I don't do highly aerobic styles. The most energetic class I do is a level 2 hatha class that is focused on more challenging poses and proper alignment, rather than continuous or energetic movement.

I think with yoga, you have to be honest with yourself about how many calories you're realistically likely to burn. Keep in mind that feeling tired or sore, or sweating a lot, aren't good indicators of calorie burn.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    typically, i think, the hatha entry would be appropriate for what most people do.
    my garmin can track it with a yoga entry on my watch.
    usually, i don't track it manually and take the adjustment my garmin makes
  • Omnifits
    Omnifits Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yoga has become one of the household activities all around the world. People are indulged in yoga as it is the epitome of benefits to their health. It does not matter if you are a beginner or an expert; there is one thing necessary, and that is Yoga Mat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    When I've done yoga it wasn't a calorie-burner.

Then it wasn't Ashtanga, or any flow or power-style ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    There is an entry for yoga in the data base under cardio. I use "stretching, hatha yoga"

Around half of my practice is vigorous and half not, so I split the time between "Stretching, hatha yoga" and "Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort."