Exercise HELP NEEDED🤪

Options
I'm really confused over what exercise would be best for me to do.
I am 5ft 8 female with a curvy pear shaped body. My shoulders/chest don't really hold much fat so look okay.
Weight goes onto my lower body more.

I'd like to strengthen my back upper and lower.
Tighten my waist
Reduce my butt, thighs tummy area.

I am unable to run due to hip problem.

Can anyone give me some workout ideas to take to the gym? There's a boat load of info out there but I just get more and more confused the more I read.

Thanks x

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That's a shame you can't run. Can you cycle, swim, row? Does your hip allow you to hike?
    Are there some classes you can try at the gym to see if you like them?

I prefer that kind of stuff because I get bored being in the gym and therefore it isn't very effective for me.
    Often there are trainers at the gym who will show you round, have a chat, and talk you through a routine. It might be worth getting that if you don't know where to start.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Having a program ready to go before you walk into the gym is a good idea. Popular beginner programs are Stronglifts 5X5, or Strong Curves.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I haven't run since I got out of the military and no one could make me run. I haven't missed it :lol:

I prefer to get my cardio outside: hiking, walking, trail maintenance, and in season, gardening and swimming. These all keep me really engaged and happy to do them.

When the rain keeps me indoors, I practice yoga and strength train. (I would lift weights more often but am struggling with golfer's elbow from excessive trail maintenance last winter.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused over what exercise would be best for me to do.
    I am 5ft 8 female with a curvy pear shaped body. My shoulders/chest don't really hold much fat so look okay.
    Weight goes onto my lower body more.

I'd like to strengthen my back upper and lower.
    Tighten my waist
    Reduce my butt, thighs tummy area.

I am unable to run due to hip problem.

Can anyone give me some workout ideas to take to the gym? There's a boat load of info out there but I just get more and more confused the more I read.

Thanks x

Just keep in mind that no specific exercise is going to spot reduce fat. You can't spot reduce.

I would recommend a combination of some kind of resistance training and some kind of cardiovascular exercise as they are both important to overall fitness. From a sustainability standpoint, the best exercise is the one that you enjoy and will be sustainable long term.