Under eating

hi all!! so i have lately been under eating but not on purpose?? I still have about 500 calories left. Will this affect my progress? I have hit my protein goals.

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Under eating in the short term won't have a negative effect. Each time you get ill you'll likely under eat. When you get stressed you'll under eat. There's lots of reasons why you might find your appetite decreased for a short while.

Under eating only really becomes a problem with it's deliberate and/or it's long term. Prolonged under eating can lead to a whole host of health problems. However more than likely you won't get to the point where it's negatively impacting your health as the body tends to be very good at self preservation. Under eating more often than not results in a corresponding binge or over eating, often overcompensating and ending up with you being in a calorie surplus overall.
  • samanthamuredda
    samanthamuredda Posts: 16 Member
    no reason at all! I feel like I eat a good amount. Example day:
    bfeast: over night oats with PB, banana, protein, almond milk
    lunch: big salad with chicken, veggies, dressing
    3 hard boiled eggs
    snack: strawberry blueberry protein smoothie, PB crackers
    Dinner: turkey and cheese sandwhich, hummus and veggies, grapes or usually rice and chicken with veggies
    and I workout everyday usually burning 800 calories. My app says 700 left but i said 500 because of maybe estimating wrong
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    For people to help you, it would help if your food diary was made "Public." That can be done under "Diary Settings."

What are your protein goals?

Tell us about yourself- height, weight, calories you set with MFP, do you like to run or lift or go skydiving?

There are lots of things that affect not only how fast or slow you lose weight, but how you feel while losing weight.

Weight loss is simple- calories in vs calories out. What is not simple about it is how long you can sustain what you do. Too few calories and you start to get physically weak, hangry, maybe not sleeping well, might do real damage to yourself. That's why it's important we know details before advising you. :smile:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I can't tell if that's adequate without knowing amounts, along with the other information the poster above mentioned.

What are your workouts? That's a relatively high calorie burn, so may be an overestimate. And you should be taking rest days.
  • samanthamuredda
    Just made my account public! i am 5’5 about 133, my calories right now are around 1900. I lift!! and play basketball 3 times a week
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    What is your goal? You are a healthy weight now, are you trying to lose more weight? How long are your workouts? Fitness trackers are notorious for way over-estimating calorie burns. You aren't far off my size, and I wouldn't burn 700 calories if I was balls to the wall running for an hour - more like 3-400 going my hardest, on top of whatever I burn just being alive. Although I'm probably a few years older than you, which can make a difference. At your stats, 1900 sounds likely to be close to maintenance amount, so if you are trying to lose at a reasonable rate your calories look reasonable for the last few days, other than the one where you skipped lunch.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Logging isn't very accurate at all, cups/spoons measurements (if measured and not guessed).

Are the Aramark meals accurate? Aramark are a contract catering service, is this just an entry you've searched and picked out rather than just filling out a recipe for something you made yourself or a more accurate restaurant entry?

A food scale is the best way to log. If not you need far higher estimates.

Also with the exercise, at your stats, I would doubt very much that you're burning that many calories on the eliptical.

n1wcm57g1e8d.jpg

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Just made my account public! i am 5’5 about 133, my calories right now are around 1900. I lift!! and play basketball 3 times a week

Her diary is now open, which means we can access the exercise diary by changing /food/ to /exercise/ in the URL. Does 700 calories for 70 minutes at her stats sound right to people? I don't use the elliptical so can't say one way or the other.
  • tinkerbellang83
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Her diary is now open, which means we can access the exercise diary by changing /food/ to /exercise/ in the URL. Does 700 calories for 70 minutes at her stats sound right to people? I don't use the elliptical so can't say one way or the other.

Not to me, unless she's at running speed on the highest resistance for 70 mins. If it's at medium intensity, I'd say maybe half of that.

• samanthamuredda
    it doesn’t allow me to put my lifting calories in or i simply don’t know how unless it’s premium i don’t pay for that. so i just put it under cardio. sorry.
  • tinkerbellang83
    it doesn’t allow me to put my lifting calories in or i simply don’t know how unless it’s premium i don’t pay for that. so i just put it under cardio. sorry.

Are you using the eliptical entry for weight lifting?

There is an entry in the cardio database for strength training.
  • samanthamuredda
    when i go go strength it just tells me to put in my reps and weight
  • tinkerbellang83
    when i go go strength it just tells me to put in my reps and weight

You go into Cardio and search the cardio database for "Strength Training"
  • samanthamuredda
    oh wow.. just found it thank you so much!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited February 2020

As you've just learned, you are supposed to add your strength training time in the Cardiovascular section of your exercise diary. The Strength Training section is just for notes, not where you earn calories for lifting.

If you've been adding elliptical when what you really were doing was lifting, you got way more calories than you actually earned :)
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I would have guessed that 700 calories for 70 minutes of anything sounds a bit much - unless you were literally at heart busting level constantly.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Are the Aramark meals accurate?

I work with (not for) Aramark on Campus and I will say they have very strict recipes and portion sizes, instructions and serving utensils. Calorie counts, macros, carbon footprint, water footprint are posted publicly.

Sure, there can be over/unders, but they’re a profit driven company and I’d guess they have less variance than the average restaurant.

I use their entries and they match what’s posted on their menu boards. Lost my weight, have maintained the loss.

Yeah I have worked with them previously and other contract caterers, but quite often when I first started using MFP their entries would be close to the top when searching for a generic entry rather than using my own recipe/restaurant info and I can tell you now from experience, my recipes were a lot higher calorie than Aramark's.