Is counting calories disordered eating? Shouldn’t we be able to not overeat?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited February 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't think binging is likely relevant to what is different between now and the long ago past.

I think most people who become overweight and even obese probably don't binge in any clinical kind of way. I think they just find it easy to overeat -- without external strictures they eat more calories than they need for an extended period of time.

Why is that?

Partly, sure, that food tends to be both more processed (less fiber, etc.) and higher cal on average, such that it takes less time to eat beyond your needs and is easier to do that before you feel overful.

Probably that highly palatable foods (whether homemade and delicious foods with fat and salt or fat and sugar or any number of other combinations) or the knock-offs that are so easily available now (even if less good!) are easier to overeat as they tend to override any satiety signals (and also tend to be highly caloric, and for reasons that make sense if looked at evolutionally, of course we tend to be attracted to more calorie-dense foods).

Food scarcity (in terms of scarcity of overall calories) is not as common now, in 1st world countries especially, as it was regularly through much or most of human history.

External cultural restrictions on food consumption are basically gone -- more and more eating throughout the day seems the norm and options are available.

Food availability requires no work (if I just decide I will only eat foods I make, that makes it much harder to overeat, although of course I still can).

Add to this all the changes in necessary activity level.

In my mid 20s I was naturally pretty active on a daily basis, and I only ate at mealtimes, since that was my habit, and I was a healthy weight without thinking about it. In my early 30s I was less active, stress ate some, and ate high cal food related to my job on a regular basis, and my weight crept up to the point that I was obese. I'm obviously someone who can gain easily and whose natural inclinations aren't sufficient to prevent it (if taking no steps to prevent it and in the current food environment), but in my 20s I would have said I was naturally the weight I was with no effort.

I agree with this. Though, when I say binge, I "think" many of us obese in recovery have had the similar experiences of just wanting to eat a few chips and then wondering where the bag went. DAMN companies making the bags smaller! 😁 If we look at weight gain across age in western countries / developed, we see the "average" weight gain is 1lb or .5 kilos a year. That would be roughly 10 cals a day over tdee. Though, we know it does not work like this. Ad librium eating can vary day to day. So someone might compensate for eating 1000 cals over one day by eating 900 less than tdee the next. I, and others far smarter than me, think that some people's compensation mechanisms might be stronger than others. Allowing them not to get obese in our current environment. Also, as we gain weight, our tdee increases.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I think evolutionary pressures/advantages would have not made it any advantage to be able to self regulate to prevent overeating when food was available over most of human history, and it might well have been an advantage to be able to do so. So it doesn't surprise me that most people don't naturally self regulate well during a permanent time of abundance (where even cultural checks have been removed).

I would agree that SOME people probably do tend to have an off switch (no, don't want more) that works better than others (and some studies seem to suggest that with basically whole foods (or the mashed up equivalent) toddlers or young kids have that, although I'm not sure how totally reliable those are). I'd argue that the cap on "natural off switch that works well" is about the third or less not overweight in the US, and that since some portion of those do use strategies to regulate their eating (my sister is assumed to be naturally thin and has never been overweight but does not just eat whatever she feels like but eats mindfully and is intentionally active).
  • psychod787
    I think evolutionary pressures/advantages would have not made it any advantage to be able to self regulate to prevent overeating when food was available over most of human history, and it might well have been an advantage to be able to do so. So it doesn't surprise me that most people don't naturally self regulate well during a permanent time of abundance (where even cultural checks have been removed).

I would agree that SOME people probably do tend to have an off switch (no, don't want more) that works better than others (and some studies seem to suggest that with basically whole foods (or the mashed up equivalent) toddlers or young kids have that, although I'm not sure how totally reliable those are). I'd argue that the cap on "natural off switch that works well" is about the third or less not overweight in the US, and that since some portion of those do use strategies to regulate their eating (my sister is assumed to be naturally thin and has never been overweight but does not just eat whatever she feels like but eats mindfully and is intentionally active).

@lemurcat2 ... why are we not friends? Lol yes, agree with this, but I will also state that too much weight gain is not evolutionary advantageous. If we can't run from cave bears, or mate, what good is having more weight? I was just proposing some ideas folks who dont want to count can leverage (protein)... lol ....diet geek joke... to stay weight stable or lose weight.
  • Jossy_star
    Jossy_star Posts: 7 Member
    What is your definition of normal?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Jossy_star wrote: »
    What is your definition of normal?

I would define normal as what the vast majority of the general population does. As a weight management strategy I'd say calorie counting is fairly abnormal...I'm the only one I know in real life who's ever done it. Even for weight loss, this or that diet is far more common than calorie counting.

• psychod787
    kimny72 wrote: »

ITA. For like 99% of the history of the human species, feasting whenever food was available meant survival, because you might be stuck in a tree for days with nothing to eat waiting for the damn jackals to back off. The only necessary regulation for over-eating was I'd guess just being physically capable to climb. As over time we have become less and less active and food calories become more and more readily available, rates of overweight and obesity have risen. I honestly don't think it's any more complicated than that, and if we will as a species evolve to develop common natural regulation of over consumption, it will take many generations.

This would also be why I don't think counting calories, or any other trick to make you mindful of how much you are eating, is "disordered". We are fighting instincts developed over thousands of years, while existing in an environment that makes those instincts harmful.

I agree. Nothing wrong with calorie counting. It is just a construct people can use as a barrier to overeating. Much like many societies have done. I.E. the "French Paradox." Is calorie the most sustainable construct for the "average" person in terms of weight management? Uh... I dont think so.
    I would challenge that at some level, normal weight, or at least thin, people do count "calories". It might not be that they explicitly use calories as a measure, but people who maintain a lighter weight and people who are formerly overweight have both been studied with fMRI to note what parts of the brain they use before, during, and after eating. For both the naturally thin and formerly overweight, their is an increased dorsolateral striatum activation - the area generally associated in judgement and executive planning.
    That suggests that people maintaining a thin weight are making some kind of mental effort that involves figuratively weighing what they've ate and possibly considering what they will eat. Given these judgements are turning into eating an amount that keeps them thin, I think it is fair to say their judgements have some level of correspondence with calories, even if they don't have an exact numerical value attached to these judgements in their brain.
    Perhaps being normal isn't being free of thinking about how much you're eating at some level, but just feeling that's what is normal.

Yes, more executive control, but... there are also studies that show a greater activation in the Ventral Striatum in obese and post obese vs normally lean. That area of the brain as been linked to the reward and learning pathways in the brain. May be why some people have a hard time stopping with certain foods.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

@lemurcat2 ... why are we not friends? Lol yes, agree with this, but I will also state that too much weight gain is not evolutionary advantageous. If we can't run from cave bears, or mate, what good is having more weight? I was just proposing some ideas folks who dont want to count can leverage (protein)... lol ....diet geek joke... to stay weight stable or lose weight.

Probably because I'm a terrible MFP friend, but I'd friend you any time.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

ITA. For like 99% of the history of the human species, feasting whenever food was available meant survival, because you might be stuck in a tree for days with nothing to eat waiting for the damn jackals to back off. The only necessary regulation for over-eating was I'd guess just being physically capable to climb. As over time we have become less and less active and food calories become more and more readily available, rates of overweight and obesity have risen. I honestly don't think it's any more complicated than that, and if we will as a species evolve to develop common natural regulation of over consumption, it will take many generations.

This would also be why I don't think counting calories, or any other trick to make you mindful of how much you are eating, is "disordered". We are fighting instincts developed over thousands of years, while existing in an environment that makes those instincts harmful.

I agree. Nothing wrong with calorie counting. It is just a construct people can use as a barrier to overeating. Much like many societies have done. I.E. the "French Paradox." Is calorie the most sustainable construct for the "average" person in terms of weight management? Uh... I dont think so.
    I would challenge that at some level, normal weight, or at least thin, people do count "calories". It might not be that they explicitly use calories as a measure, but people who maintain a lighter weight and people who are formerly overweight have both been studied with fMRI to note what parts of the brain they use before, during, and after eating. For both the naturally thin and formerly overweight, their is an increased dorsolateral striatum activation - the area generally associated in judgement and executive planning.
    That suggests that people maintaining a thin weight are making some kind of mental effort that involves figuratively weighing what they've ate and possibly considering what they will eat. Given these judgements are turning into eating an amount that keeps them thin, I think it is fair to say their judgements have some level of correspondence with calories, even if they don't have an exact numerical value attached to these judgements in their brain.
    Perhaps being normal isn't being free of thinking about how much you're eating at some level, but just feeling that's what is normal.

Yes, more executive control, but... there are also studies that show a greater activation in the Ventral Striatum in obese and post obese vs normally lean. That area of the brain as been linked to the reward and learning pathways in the brain. May be why some people have a hard time stopping with certain foods.

Might depend on how long post obese. I believe low leptin changes the rewards signals, definitely increases attention to food cues on people in a diet. It might sadly reflect a lifetime learning.

And sure, both probably explain obesity. Just to make it clear if it wasn't was about how it is true in naturally lean people - they're doing some kind of accounting even if it isn't actual calorie counting. Just like someone who had never heard of the term miles before could have an idea of their stride length and can estimate how far something is by walking it or having walked a visually similar distance before, while someone else could find out the measurement using GPS or laser range finder. On some level, they're doing a similar kind of math with different units.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Yes, too much weight gain is not advantageous, but the mechanism of evolving that off switch was to adapt to conditions that changed only recently. People required way more calories to overeat back then, given the physical nature of their daily lives, and high calorie density food was not perpetually available like it is now.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    My take on it is that portion sizes have grown with waistlines. I see this in Italy where portions are smaller and soft drinks are not refillable. Just to name a few differences.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Breaking my 10 day no post celibacy... I think humans do have a natural ability to control calories. Now, I think it is stronger in some people. Genetics might play a role. Our genetics have not changed that much in the last 100 years. What has changed? The food environment. People now consume more energy dense/hyper palatable foods. These foods I think overload this satiety center. Now, one can gain weight eating any kind of foods. Though, I think certain properties of certain foods help trigger satiety quicker and longer. When most people binge, it's not on plain fruits, vegetables, leaner meats, it's usually very energy dense foods like ice cream. By lowering the energy density of one's diet, they may be able to eat more "normally" without counting calories. If you want to eat like a "normal" person, you will most likely gain weight. It's the norm not the exception it used to be. There have been studies on the diets of more traditional hunter and gatherer cultures. They seem to have a total caloric density of 1-1.2. If we look at the Kevin Hall less processed vs more processed diet study. We see the average calorie density of the "eaten" food of the less processed group was 1.08 vs 1.31 of the more processed. Correlation? Yes. Possible inside into the satiety center of the human brain... Maybe..

...so let me tell you about the time I binged on satsumas. Oh, and the time I binged on carrots. And apples. And pineapple (and OW my poor mouth and stomach hurt after that one).

Oh I did on peaches once.... but as a caveat i was sub 9% bf coming from over 50%... so... I probably would have binged on dirt. 😉 I will REPHRASE my statement. People in general are LESS likely to binge on them. The fact that your belly was yelling at you says something to the potential satiation ability of them.

**edit** The calorie density of carrots is 200 cals a pound or so. Fruit roughly 300 cals a pound. Ben and Jerry's is roughly 1200 calories a pound. How much would have you eaten of the ben and Jerry's vs apples?

I've pigged out on some ridiculous stuff as I don't keep temptations in the house. If craving something sweet I've eaten a big bag of frozen blueberries, a butternut squash, and Honeycrisp apples. Recently it was vegetables wrapped in low calorie tortillas with salsa. I tried to moderate Fiber One bars and ate the box in a day, talk about never wanting again after that experience! I've started eating at the table with no distractions and it's helped a lot. Luckily I rarely do this but the calories aren't big enough to hurt the bottom line, it's the behavior that bugs me.

My therapist doesn't like calorie counting, she thinks it's a slippery slope though I agree counting in itself isn't the problem. It's worked very well for me, I've lost 105lbs total.
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm not a big fan of counting/measuring out calories over the long haul when it comes to lifestyle changes. I think in the beginning of a weight loss journey it's important to measure everything out and learn serving sizes of the foods you eat on a consistent basis and the amount of calories in those servings. But after a month or two you will be able to better guesstimate calories and portions having gone through the educational/enlightening process of measuring everything out. I'm a big believer in making any weight loss/lifestyle change as simple as possible because the more simple and less variables there are the more likely you are to stick it out for the long run. Changing up your nutrition after months or even years of poor eating habits/choices is hard enough as it is. Obsessing about calories and macros to the point that it makes you a nervous wreck is essentially trading a physical health concern for a mental/psychological one. What is doubly concerning about this is for many people overeating/poor food choices came as some from of coping mechanism to deal with stress and mental health issues so it's just another way to get stuck in a vicious cycle.
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm not a big fan of counting/measuring out calories over the long haul when it comes to lifestyle changes. I think in the beginning of a weight loss journey it's important to measure everything out and learn serving sizes of the foods you eat on a consistent basis and the amount of calories in those servings. But after a month or two you will be able to better guesstimate calories and portions having gone through the educational/enlightening process of measuring everything out. I'm a big believer in making any weight loss/lifestyle change as simple as possible because the more simple and less variables there are the more likely you are to stick it out for the long run. Changing up your nutrition after months or even years of poor eating habits/choices is hard enough as it is. Obsessing about calories and macros to the point that it makes you a nervous wreck is essentially trading a physical health concern for a mental/psychological one. What is doubly concerning about this is for many people overeating/poor food choices came as some from of coping mechanism to deal with stress and mental health issues so it's just another way to get stuck in a vicious cycle.

That is precisely why I've been counting for 7 years and don't see myself stopping in the foreseeable future. I find counting simpler than having to obsess about what I can or cannot eat. I tend to restrict more "just in case" when I'm not counting and I find that exhausting. Everything is fair game if the numbers are right, and it requires fewer rules/less rigid rules. The only decision I have to make is "is this food worth the calories today?" when I feel like having a high calorie food, and the rest of the processes is self-driving.

Maybe I believe in oversimplification but I just think doing things like eating more whole foods and avoiding processed foods, not drinking calories often, and reducing the intake of refined sugar and simple carbs will naturally put the vast majority of people trying to lose weight at a caloric deficit without having to track every single day. The reason I don't worry about overeating taking this approach is because eating more whole foods and less processed foods loaded with sugar is going to keep me satisfied with a lower volume of food consumed. This is not to say I never have an alcoholic beverage or occasionally eat sweets or processed foods but I don't obsess about it because I know the majority of the time I am eating relatively clean. Your point about why you track calories to keep yourself accountable and to not obsess about what you eat is well taken and I fully subscribe to the notion that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to a healthy lifestyle. Thank you for your thought provoking reply.