Exercise 40+ yrs post scoliosis back surgery

Any advice for a 55 yr old woman who had a 12" rod implanted at age 13 and now has fairly constant low-back pain? Can't do twists or bends and have to stick with low-impact but I need to work up a sweat! Just need to take off a few pounds (10-15) but at my age, it's difficult without serious cardio. 10K steps isn't getting it done. Any positive advice welcome.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I'd ask my doctor for a referral to a physical therapist.

I'm running through all the cardio I do and other than walking and hiking, it does involve bends or twists. What about strength training?

I anticipate a lot of people will post that you don't need to exercise to lose weight - you can create a calorie deficit by simply eating less. While this is certainly true, I absolutely must have the calories I earn from exercise in order to feel like I've had enough food. That said, I feel more full on less calories if I increase protein and veggies, and decrease carbs from foods like bread, as while I love bread, I do not find it especially filling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Re low back pain - this was an issue for me for decades. Yoga has helped me with that, but yoga can also be hard on your back, and can involve a lot of bends and twists, so if you go this route look for a yoga teacher with advanced training. (I have a 200 hour YT certification and am clueless, but I've worked with a certified yoga therapist who had a slew of other training and was amazing.)

If you spend a lot of time sitting, consider upgrading your chair. I adore the Herman Miller I was fortunate to inherit from my manager.

I also really like foam rolling. I started with the $15 Gold's Gym one, which died fairly quickly, as did it's replacement, and now have this much sturdier one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040EGNIU/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2020
    Resistance training for all the benefits including better quality of life, strength, retain muscle during weight loss and aging.

Cardio(LISS) might be where you are at right now for cardiovascular health.

Eat in a deficit for weightloss. You don't need to sweat to lose weight at any age, only eat less than your TDEE.

• lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    I also had scoliosis surgery at 13! I'm 40 now, and I also have some back pain, but it's not constant and unless I stand for a long time, it's fine. Massages help a lot. My workout consist mainly of treadmills, Zumba and lifting. I don't like running, but I like the calorie burn. But as far as lower impact goes, walking on a treadmill while increasing the incline, at as high as speed as your shins can handle and without holding on, goes a long way to raising my heart rate in a way that steady state does not. Combined with upper body training (bicep curls, tricep extensions and overhead presses), it should be a decent workout without aggravating your lower back.