How to get started & stay motivated?

Options
Hi! So a little background.

31 almost 32yrs old & im 5’5. I’ve always been a little overweight. I had 2 kiddos in 2010&2011 and was around 175, and in 2014 I used MFP to lose about 25-30lbs so I kno it works. However, I had another kiddo in 2018 and I’m stuck at 195. I have tried mfp over and over again but can’t stay motivated to track and eat right. Once I start I can incorporate the gym/workouts but I want to start with tracking first.

I’m at my heaviest I’ve ever been and very uncomfortable. What tips and tricks do you have to stick with it? I have a goal to lose 50ish lbs.

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    eat a lot of protein and drink a lot of water and coffee, helps me.
  • mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi. Good luck on reaching your goals. Here are a few things that have helped me.

1. I moved the MFP app to the bottom row of my phone so that it is always on every screen. The thought was, the more I see it, the more I am likely to use it.
    2. I have MPF set to send me reminder notifications to log my calories after each meal. Tracking calories each meal makes it easier to decide if I can have that piece of chocolate after dinner!
    3. I started using a free app called HabitHub. I have always had the best of intentions, but had trouble staying on track. I am now using HabitHub for all of my goals. I get the same reminders from it that I do from MFP, but also use it for other things such as flossing every day, reviewing my personal budget every week, changing the filters for my air conditioner each month, etc. I've been using it for a month now, and feel much more organized. I have accomplished a lot of things in this last month that I previously would have likely forgotten to do.
    4. Another thing is to set realistic goals that are measurable. You want to lose 50 pounds. That is a realistic goal and YOU CAN DO IT! But you have to make sure that you go about it the right way and set a realistic timeline for achieving it. What is your timeline. Most experts say that the safest way to lose weight is a pound or a 1/2 pound a week. At that rate, it will take at least 50 weeks to lose 50 pounds. I know that sounds like a long time. You can lose 50 pounds much faster, but the odds of you keeping it off long-term are better if you take it slow. Taking it slow involves making the right lifestyle changes to sustain the weight loss, rather than temporary changes that will keep you in a lose--gain--lose--gain cycle.
    5. To go along with 4, set a realistic goal of 50 pounds by a certain date. Then measure and document your progress along the way. Set milestones. I want to lose 20 pounds this year. I have a weekly goal of losing 0.4 pounds per week for 2020. I have a spreadsheet that shows my starting weight (on Jan 1st), goal for each week, and my actual weight. I only weigh myself weekly on the same day at roughly the same time (that avoids guilt for bad days). By documenting it, I can see my progress and continue what I am doing if I am having success, or make adjustments if things didn't work out for that week.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I rambled on for too long.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Focus only on tracking. Maybe even just at maintenance. Don’t worry about “eating right”, just track.

After tracking becomes a habit, you could change the settings from maintenance to a slow weight loss calorie target. Small changes over time are best IMO
  • Jesi1011
    Jesi1011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. I love the idea of having the app right in front on my screen. I think that will help some. I am also going to check out the habitapp

Feel free to add me! I think the bigger my circle of encouragement, accountability, and resources the better I’ll do.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with @emmamcgarity, start your food diary and never stop. Make that your #1 focus. Everything always gets recorded with a number. Over your number? Wildly over? Log it all. Don’t know how many calories in that meal or dish? Make a good faith estimate and keep going.

Your maintenance number is a good way to start. When you have things up and running, calculate a deficit to lose .5 lbs or 1 lb per week.

Make a plan for the week to try to hit your number. Try to make a menu around food that you actually like. Can any of your favorites be modified to make them more plan friendly? What can you include occasionally? What can you include in limited portions? A good plan is a plan we will actually follow.

Don’t let missteps derail you. No one was born counting calories. There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve. Give it time.

Last- try to make your plan about basic things to do and make a point to do them. Motivation is unreliable. Keep working your plan even when the voice in your head is screaming that it’s a waste of time. Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence. Never quit. Good luck.