Do you think that personality has an effect on weight loss success?

threewins
threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
edited February 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I do because I think that I am highly motivated towards weight loss (I've been at goal weight 5 times, yo-yoed nearly 300 kg) however I have a habit of half-donkeying* things. Maybe successful weight losers have a special personality which makes them highly motivated and experienced at completing tasks, hence they reach goal weight quickly and stay there. What do you think?

*American name for donkey

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I don't think it is to do with personality as such. You will find many different personalities on MFP successfully losing weight. It is more about finding a sustainable way to eat for you and sticking to it consistently over time.

Perhaps if you are an impatient person then you will struggle more but there is no speicial personality that makes it easier and faster to lose weight.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Yes, I definitely think that personality plays a part.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    I think if you are stubborn and refuse to give up you will be a lot more successful at weight loss. However all personalities can be stubborn.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I think having certain personality types can be a help or a hindrance, but I think its not something that cannot be overcome if someone is aware of their natural tendencies.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You definitely need an unrelenting determination to succeed at this, but that’s probably true for any goal.
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    An error with the personality trait of emotions and handling of them can be an obstacle to some. Not everyone has an eating disorder though. Weight loss is easy if done correctly, but those issues with emotion for me has caused it to come back every time. I've lost 80, 100, 50.. Something life-altering would happen and I'd always yo-yo.
    I'm almost 22 lbs. down since 1/1. I'm pretty sure I'm ready for whatever life throws at me this time. I'm not emotionally invested in my weight loss this time.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    I do think personality plays a part, but not the whole personality. More... are you able to understand how to lose weight and not get sidetracked by woo? Are you able to stick to tracking and logging? There's a certain degree of determination and willingness, motivation and stubbornness. But I think those things can apply to nearly every personality. I have a friend who is similar to me, we're both pretty lazy and big procrastinators. I think the biggest difference between us in terms of trying to lose weight is belief. I believe I can do it, he doesn't believe he can do it. He thinks weight loss is hard and lacks the discipline to stick to a calorie goal - and he finds calorie counting tedious. For me, counting is a part of my daily routine (and when I stopped doing it, I gained 40lbs back) so I don't find it difficult. I also haven't given up any foods I like, whilst he thinks he has to stop eating everything he loves to lose weight.

I also have friends who want to lose weight but won't accept that the reason they can't is because they're eating too much. I'm not sure if that's personality or if it's wilful ignorance of some kind.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    I guess it depends on what your definition of personality is. It's generally defined as something like the complete traits of your behavior that make you different from everyone else. I think, by definition, the answer to the question is yes.

Most overweight people want to lose weight. Most don't. Some do. Absent the physical and environmental differences, personality would, by definition, be the reason for the success.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I self-sabotage, so I only succeed when I half-*kitten* it, lol. I think people's personality traits help determine the route they take, but I think success can be found by anyone.