Kindly don’t speak to me?

Gaygirl2120
Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
Ok so I go to my gym at roughly the same time each day. All the regulars know I am not that friendly chatty gym person. They respect it and leave me alone. However there is this one guy who just isn’t taking the hint. He comes up to me every time he sees me and wants to have a conversation. He hadn’t seen me in awhile and I told him yes I fractured my foot and had to take some time off. I try not to be rude and if someone talks to me I’ll respond, but make it as quick and to the point as possible. But now he asks me if I’m supposed to be working out and if my Dr approves of it etc. I’m just like 🤦🏽‍♀️ I literally had my headphones in and had my face buried in my phone the other day aggressively texting someone and it was obvious I didn’t want to be bothered. I literally didn’t even look up from my phone when he approached me. But he still stood there yapping away. Most people would take the hint. But I don’t think he was built wth that feature. So how do you guys handle dealing with chatty gym people or in general that aren’t understanding you don’t want to talk to them? I don’t want to be straight up rude and create an uncomfortable situation when I have to see this dude almost daily. But I do want to make it clear I’m not interested in talking to him.

Replies

• _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Bring one of your girl friends and pretend she's your girlfriend or I know it's not ideal but sometimes one needs to be a *kitten*.. a nice one tho. Like maybe next time be like "Can we chat after I'm done with my workout?" Or "Can we catch up another time, I'm short on time" OR straight up *kitten* mode and be like "*kitten* off" 🤷‍♀️
  • Gaygirl2120
    Bring one of your girl friends and pretend she's your girlfriend or I know it's not ideal but sometimes one needs to be a *kitten*.. a nice one tho. Like maybe next time be like "Can we chat after I'm done with my workout?" Or "Can we catch up another time, I'm short on time" OR straight up *kitten* mode and be like "*kitten* off" 🤷‍♀️

Lol funny thing if I could get my actual girlfriend out of bed with me in the morning and bring her with me that would be great lol!
  • Gaygirl2120
    I'm a pretty direct person devoid of social norms... I would just tell him to leave me alone, I'm trying to workout. 🤷🏼‍♀️

In a different setting I would totally do this. But like I said because I do see him all the time I don’t want to create an uncomfortable situation.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Try a quick "maybe later" approach? Like "Hey, good to see you too, but if I talk during my workout I lose focus, so could we chat later?" Then set a notification on your phone for about five minutes after your workout. When he's blabbing at you, go "oops, gotta go" when it goes off. If this happens every time and he questions you just say "I only have so much time to work out and I really want to get the most out of it."
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    “I’m going to listen to my music and focus on my workout now.”
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    "I'm sorry, I'm right in the middle of a workout. I can't chat right now."
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I'm a pretty direct person devoid of social norms... I would just tell him to leave me alone, I'm trying to workout. 🤷🏼‍♀️

In a different setting I would totally do this. But like I said because I do see him all the time I don’t want to create an uncomfortable situation.

You can absolutely be direct without being rude. You say you think he doesn't pick up on social cues so being direct is your only option. No need to feel uncomfortable when you see him in the future, either. Sounds like you're uncomfortable now so no sense putting up with it.
  • Just explain to him that you're time in the gym is valuable as you want to make the most of it and talking is a distration.

"Thanks for your concern. but, I'm good. Have a nice day" is all that needs to be said.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Ask him his name, and when he tells you say: "Thank you, now I know what to put on the restraining order".
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    "I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not a very chatty person. It's nothing personal but I just want to focus on my workout."

You don't owe him anything, not even an apology. If he reacts negatively, that's on him. It may be uncomfortable for a few seconds, but it will save you all the grief he would have caused if you don't say anything at all.

Let us know how it goes!
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Perfect your rbf. Dont make eye contact. Hiss at him. Become cat.

🤣 brilliant!
  • Gaygirl2120
    Thanks everyone for the great advice and laughs. I’m definitely going to be direct, but not rude and hopefully he will finally get the point.