a slow jogger too?

Options
ktpod1
ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
I've been doing the c25k program and it is pretty sad that my running speed is a step above walking the dog. HA. Anyone else out there that is in the same boat?

Replies

• jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    i am not doing that program, but i was feeling great about the fact that i was actually shuffle-jogging (my own word for it)...was all proud of myself.......and a 90 yr old man passed me on the track. Um.....he was WALKING, i should add.....lmao.

But - i got over it.....and am glad i am just out there puttin one foot in front of the other.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I started out that way. :smile: It also took me twice as long to get through C25K as it should've. One of the best things I ever did though. You'll get faster. :happy:
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the first day so far... I was very slow, but I did it. Speed will come with time, I'm told. I was also told "consistency is more important than speed." :D

Good luck with this. i'm going to put off really getting into the program until I get some decent shoes... hopefully sooner rather than later.
  • sophie2040
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about how fast you can jog/walk/run, youve started the transition by actually making the effort to excercise, it takes time to improve your generally fitness, well done for taking the step to lose weight/get fit
  • dsipes3262
    dsipes3262 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. You'll get faster. The c25k program is building up your endurance to be able to run for the full 30 minutes without stopping. Concentrate on that for now. If you're gasping air, then you're going too fast. I don't know if you're anything like me, but when I started I couldn't jog for the first minute without thinking I was going to die. Now I'm able to go for a full hour without stopping (and still going slow). Speed will come later.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Call it slow or shuffle jogging but it still involves more effort than simple walking. Carry on and your speed will increase before you will finish c25k. I started it back in Jan and within a month and a half I was able to jog for 12 km non stop. Slow and steady speed helped me there.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ha! What a hoot. To Jenny's response.
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's me! And my jogging is just about equivalent to walking a dog on here. Sad as it may be at least I'm trying. Ialso figure I'll I'll work on endurance and then speed. I was out there last night and this guy in the real have me props for working at it. Made me feel good :) Especially with all the negative I"feel" usually.

You ladies are awesome- keep it up!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be slow. You are doing it. Just be careful, I had to stop running because of knee pain because I was pushing it too fast. Make sure you are doing strength training too.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    yep...but I have gotten better. Once upon a time it took me 16+ mins to run/walk/shuffle a mile. and now my average is about a 12 min mile. Is that still slow? Sure, by some standards...but I am pretty darn proud of it. Plus there is the fact that I am now able to run 3-4 12 mins miles in a row. Even if you are slow, you are getting out there and doing it. And that is what matters most.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I started the program a month ago, but I do each week twice, at least for now. I still have one more day of week 2. I start out at 3.3mph and get up to 3.6mph if I am feeling good. I am trying not to over do it and gradually build up to a respectable number. I am 58 years old, I am not used to running and I don't want any injuries.
  • laurah3131
    laurah3131 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am super super super slow. I also just had to stop because i tweaked my calf yesterday. Bummed because I was going to be doing a 5k in 3 weeks. now I can barely walk. lol..... keep doing it. You will get there!
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sort of off-topic, but I have always been a slow walker. I get very frustrated that my moderate walking speed is about 2.9 mph which runtastic always rounds down to 2.5 mph 'leisurely' when it transfers to MFP. (grumble) I was huffing and sweating, it wasn't leisurely dang it!

Good on you for jogging! Keep up the good work!
  • cindy326
    cindy326 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    running_zps5999ff1b.jpg

Yes. I completed w5d2 this morning. I feel like a olympic runner as im doing it but when i review my statistics I laugh. But I wont quit. I may be the slowest runner but at least im a runner :o)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    when I started C25K, I'm pretty sure I could have walked faster than I was running. But speed comes naturally with time. I'm not a fast runner, but I'm a lot faster than when I started.
  • MoeggenborgSugarBush
    Options
    Oh, my running speed is slower than most people's walking speed. Just keep going and don't compare yourself to anyone but you! Good job!!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 and I'm really slow too. It's also taking me longer since I'm only doing it twice a week instead of three times. I don't care. At least we're doing it!
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    Yes, here! Just came in from my 1st day and I'm sure my "run" speed was slower than my fast walk.
    We'll get faster!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Someone compared it to a turtle running through mud or peanut butter and that fits me perfectly. I finished the C25K program a few weeks ago and am now trying to do 30 mins runs consistently. I only hit 2 miles for them, I did keep going last week and did the 3.1/5K equivalent in 46:15. I'm hoping to try that again this week. It's slow, but hey, I'm doing it and without stopping.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    very slow jogger here !! LOL ...but i found that i was able to cover more distance if i slow down ....i think this jogging thing is more about the endurance to go a greater distance ....i jog/walked 5 miles this morning in 1:15 ...all kind of people were passing me by but i don't care !!