Not feeling motivated to start my daily exercise during winter

Once I get on the treadmill I am fine. Any ideas to beat the procrastination?

Replies

• McBurnsalot
    McBurnsalot Posts: 14 Member
    I have a hard time in the winter too. I think it is the cold and depressing weather.

You have to just make a choice to go, don’t over think it. Just be determined to work out on x day for x time and then do it.
  • caloricus
    caloricus Posts: 591 Member
    Thanks to those of you with words of encouragement. That did help me the rest of the week.

The lecture of "motivation vs. discipline" could have had the opposite effect. But I am good about ignoring negative people.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    caloricus wrote: »
    Thanks to those of you with words of encouragement. That did help me the rest of the week.

The lecture of "motivation vs. discipline" could have had the opposite effect. But I am good about ignoring negative people.

I didn't think that was negative at all. I've been exercising regularly for 8 years...motivation is pretty fleeting. Staying on it week after week, month after month, year after year requires discipline.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    If I relied on motivation, I'd never get this done. When it's 28 degrees out and I'm comfy, cozy at home, I am in no way motivated to get out in that and go to the gym. I do it anyway. What I'm discovering is that, once I've made myself do what I didn't want to do, I end up feeling better. It's that initial push to get past things we don't feel like doing that's most difficult and that is where discipline comes in.

We don't usually feel like doing the dishes, laundry, going to work, school, etc... but we do it anyway because we know that, if we don't, it won't get done. Same with this.
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Prepare your work out clothes and shoes the night before.
  • caloricus
    caloricus Posts: 591 Member
    edited February 2020
    Again, thanks for the positive encouraging IDEAS to help me stay "disciplened" in pursuing my goal.

I see the difference between motivation and discipline. Do you people so determined to point out my poor choice of the word "motivation" rather than "discipline" consider that your lecturing approach to teach the difference between the two terms might be discouraging?

This section is titled Motivation and Support. Perhaps you could consider that when giving your advice. The responses debating the idea of Motivation vs. Discipline felt very judgmental to me rather than supportive. I am hoping that was not anyone's intent.

I apologize for using the word "negative". I just wanted some support. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    If you listen to music, put your headphones in whilst you’re getting ready to start getting you in the mood to train.
    Personally I like to find workouts that give me a sense of satisfaction, so maybe following a training plan and ticking off the next session rather than just blindly plodding for 1hr every day.
    Or give up with treadmill and find something that you DO enjoy, maybe a team sport?
    You could try Zwift for treadmills if this is a home treadmill? Many ppl find Zwift workouts motivating.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    You get up in the morning, have a shower, brush your teeth, and go to work every day ... right? Even when you don't really feel like it? Well ... same with exercise. :)

Some days we look forward to going to work because we're working on a project we enjoy ... some days we look forward to exercise because we might hit a goal or make an accomplishment.

Some days we drag ourselves to work when we'd really rather just stay home ... some days we put on our exercise clothes and had downstairs to the exercise equipment when we'd really rather just stay upstairs where it is warm and watch TV.

But however we feel ... we do it anyway. :)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    I hate the cold, too. I also sometimes admit I feel better after exercising. Do what you can and try to add in calorie burning exercise when you can or even fun stuff!
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Working out right after work works for me, it's like an extension of my job, something I HAVE to do. During my lunch break, I change into my workout clothes, so as soon as I sign off work, I can get moving.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    caloricus wrote: »
    Again, thanks for the positive encouraging IDEAS to help me stay "disciplened" in pursuing my goal.

I see the difference between motivation and discipline. Do you people so determined to point out my poor choice of the word "motivation" rather than "discipline" consider that your lecturing approach to teach the difference between the two terms might be discouraging?

This section is titled Motivation and Support. Perhaps you could consider that when giving your advice. The responses debating the idea of Motivation vs. Discipline felt very judgmental to me rather than supportive. I am hoping that was not anyone's intent.

I apologize for using the word "negative". I just wanted some support. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

It is not judging you it is speaking from experience in hopes to guide you away from mistakes that many of us have made.

My personal rule is the very moment I do not feel like doing something fitness related is the moment it is decided I must do it. There are obviously some exceptions to this rule like illness and the need for physical rest/recovery.