It's hard for me to admit, but I need help.

Options
I spent ten years trying to find a thyroid medication I could tolerate, and after gaining 40 pounds almond the way, I finally found it. I've gone gluten free, 95% dairy free, eat organic produce and meats. I swim, walk 8-9 miles a day and yet I have not lost a pound. My next step is to start weight training, which I believe will change my body composition, and help me to start losing the pounds.

I don't have anyone in my life that can support me in my weight loss, and I feel alone. If anyone can impart any words of wisdom or support to help me stay motivated through this time it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I don't know that I can help, but you sound so sad. Mine is not the same story, but thanks to a cancer med, I've gained weight that I cannot lose. It's been over a year. So I work on my muscles, and I work out to feel great. I'll never have the shape I had prior to that illness, but I'm kinda rockin' the girl with the hourglass shape thing now. Once I accepted that I was doing my best, I grew to love the look.
  • Determined518
    Determined518 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine suffered cancer, and is now in constant pain. She is very overweight and wants badly to be thin. She is 100 gluten and dairy free.... What helped her... The south beach diet and lots and lots of water.

Water is your best friend. I wouldn't consume any other beverage. Also add lots of friends on here and check this often. If you feel upset or down, let people know. There is so much support on here that is overwhelming at times.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've finally found the right medication!! That can make all the difference in the world, and I don't mean just weight :wink:

I also lift, and I'm just starting to lift heavy. I don't eat super clean, but I do try to go for the more healthy options most of the time, leaving myself room for treats when appropriate.

Are you tracking your food? Even eating the best quality foods out there, too many calories can prevent weight loss. I would suggest a modest deficit (start with maybe 250 calorie deficit) and make sure to get plenty of protein. See how that works for you, and adjust as necessary.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Are you a member of the hypo/hyperthyroid group? Lots of good discussion over there, and plenty of people who'll understand the battle of the meds. I was lucky enough that Synthroid works well for me, but there are lots of folks in that group who've tried a lot of things along the way.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I would really advise you have RMR test done so as to know where your energy expenditure is. Your metabolism will likely not be in line with any calculator you can find online because you are an anomoly. Aside from that, just continue to put one foot in front of the other. It takes some people a lot longer to start to see any progress.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My weight gain was in huge part medication related. There's a special frustration that comes with that - I was trying to take care of my mind (it was a drug for my mental health) and wound up putting my body through the ringer. The medication didn't work out anyways, so there was some resentment about it all in the end. Gained all that weight and it didn't even help? Oi. I don't know if that's your experience, but coming here and taking control of my body really did help the anger ease.

Hang out on the forums and cultivate a friend's list with people who have similar goals or personality styles. Many of us don't have irl support for our weight loss, so we find it here!
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    As many others have stated, I would recommend talking to a physician before starting out on anything. However, feel free to add me if you are looking for support.
  • mowrykatie
    mowrykatie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm also hypo. (hashimoto's) The only thing that has been working for me to lose weight is limiting my calories and only logging half of my exercise. I think being hypo slows your metabolism so much that the calorie estimation on MFP way over estimates our (hypo peoples) calorie burn. I was stuck at around a ten pound loss and truly it was because I was overeating. As soon as I made those adjustments the weight started to fall away.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP, even with your thyroid, it comes down to calories in and calories out.

It's harder for you because you can't eat as much as others, but if you exercise, eat at a deficit and be patient, you still can lose the weight.

Unless you have been diagnosed with a food sensitivity or your doctor has put you on a special diet, forget about all the gluten free, hormone free, etc. food. What matters is a calorie deficit, and getting the right amount of macro- and micro-nutrients. It seems that everyone has something to sell you, and these special diets are nothing more than that in many instances.

Plenty of us are here to help. I've seen my own struggles, and my wife has seen more (cancer and fibro), but we are both in good shape these days and we enjoy what we eat. It can be done if you (1) keep it simple, (2) commit, and (3) be patient.

Edit: typo
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's harder for you because you can't eat as much as others, but if you exercise, eat at a deficit and be patient, you still can lose the weight.

Unless you have been diagnosed with a food sensitivity or your doctor has put you on a special diet, forget about all the gluten free, hormone free, etc. food. What matters is a calorie deficit, and getting the right amount of macro- and micro-nutrients. It seems that everyone has something to sell you, and these special diets are nothing more than that in many instances.

Plenty of us are here to help. I've seen my own struggles, and my wife has seen more (cancer and fibro), but we are both in good shape these days and we enjoy what we eat. It can be done if you (1) keep it simple, (2) commit, and (3) be patient.

All of this. The dairy free, gluten free, organic stuff is meaningless as far as weight loss goes. Those only make a difference if you have specific allergies or intolerances to them. It's really all about calories. You need to have your RMR tested and then you can build a plan from there, as the thyroid issue will cause any online calculator to overestimate your actual RMR, as they can't account for that.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

All of this. The dairy free, gluten free, organic stuff is meaningless as far as weight loss goes. Those only make a difference if you have specific allergies or intolerances to them. It's really all about calories. You need to have your RMR tested and then you can build a plan from there, as the thyroid issue will cause any online calculator to overestimate your actual RMR, as they can't account for that.

This ^^
    These guys know their stuff. Listen to them.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Just a thought... You could try reading into Salicylate Sensitivity. This can be at the bottom of many health issues. If you try the "Food can make you ill" web site you will find more information on other food related problems too. I keep intending to write of my experiences with Salicylate but that is as far as I have got at the moment.

all the best