Combating Blisters?

I noticed this last time I went to Disney. and now that I'm running 5ks and walking more, any time I walk 3+ miles, I get blisters on the balls of my feet and between my big toe and second toe. I definitely want to get a new pair of shoes soon specific for running, but that's not gonna happen before this Disney trip. My shoes are incredibly comfortable, but I just need some tips for keeping blisters at bay. It almost feels like the balls of my feet are getting burnt and rubbed raw.

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2020
    What kind of socks are you wearing? What kind of shoes? You can lace your shoes differently to accommodate different issues... it sounds like your shoes might be too big or too lose allowing your foot to slip and slide around too much, causing friction, and in turn you are going to scrunch your toes even more to try and hold them steady.

As for blister prevention, you can try Body Glide, bandaids, or even duct tape.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I don't run but my son does and he uses Fresh Balls and/or gauze and athletic tape for his.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I trained for and ran two full marathons without blisters.

what worked for me:
    • properly fitted running shoes
    • very thin, moisture wicking socks ( I like DeFeet brand... but that's just me.)
    • body glide applied to the skin
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I'm curious as to what type of shoes you're wearing that's causing this. Could be ill-fitting even if they feel comfortable.

Definitely get good running shoes when you can. Foot injuries take a long time to heal.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    As mentioned above, socks are very important. If new shoes are an option right now maybe you could try replacing the insoles in your current shoes to get better support? Insoles could also help fill any excess space in your shoes that are causing your feet to shift around and create friction.
    For some temporary cushion you can also try applying moleskin pieces to problem areas in your shoes or even directly on your feet. I always keep moleskin with me for hiking to cushion against heel blisters (especially if I'm breaking in new boots).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    I swear by a product called Compeed which is a large gel bandage that you put over the blister. Adhere's for a few days, even if you shower and makes it possible to finish long distance inline speed skating events even with large blisters. Sold in drugstores. They have several sizes and shapes for blisters on different areas such as toes or heels.

https://www.compeed.co.uk/

Skating is a sport where participants are really prone to blisters.

When I used to figure skate on ice as a child, our strategy for blisters was to wear a thin tight slppery sock (like a pantyhose anklet or knee high) with another thin cotton sock sock on top. Then any friction in the skate occurs between the two sock layers rather than against the skin.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I've also noticed that good running shoes are not necessarily good walking shoes.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Good shoes are very important and helpful

I'm a pro once you have a blister. I put a tiny bandage on them and then a blister pad then another bandage and it does the trick and they heal nicely.
  • SarahMWong15
    SarahMWong15 Posts: 58 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what type of shoes you're wearing that's causing this. Could be ill-fitting even if they feel comfortable.

Definitely get good running shoes when you can. Foot injuries take a long time to heal.

Well they're these sketchers with memory foam inserts. And they have the stretchy laces that you just switch on. They're so light and comfy, but unfortunately since my foot moves around in them, I get blisters galore. I will most certainly get some good running shoes, but until then, I'll have to bandage up for the sketchers. lol.
  • SarahMWong15
    Motorsheen wrote: »

what worked for me:
    • very thin, moisture wicking socks ( I like DeFeet brand... but that's just me.)

Can I ask why thin socks? I always imagined thick socks were the way to go.
  • SarahMWong15
    acpgee wrote: »
    I swear by a product called Compeed which is a large gel bandage that you put over the blister. Adhere's for a few days, even if you shower and makes it possible to finish long distance inline speed skating events even with large blisters. Sold in drugstores. They have several sizes and shapes for blisters on different areas such as toes or heels.

https://www.compeed.co.uk/

Skating is a sport where participants are really prone to blisters.

When I used to figure skate on ice as a child, our strategy for blisters was to wear a thin tight slppery sock (like a pantyhose anklet or knee high) with another thin cotton sock sock on top. Then any friction in the skate occurs between the two sock layers rather than against the skin.

Omg YES! When I went to Disney last time, I had like, quarter sized blisters on the balls of my feet by the second day and was literally unable to walk on them. I put one of those blister bandaids on them and a tough strip bandaid on top of that and I was able to walk nearly pain free for the last day! I think I'm going to put those on as preventative measures before I even get a blister.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I have had good luck training for a marathon using body glide. I have a “feet” one and a regular one so only one touches my feet (that’s me and my feet skeeviness I think.). I don’t think the feet version is any different than the regular but it says feet so that means the regular one isn’t on my feet.

If you’d like to save 80 cents, you can buy it used on amazon.

Who buys used body glide? For feet.

Good shoes will also help.

Depending on your feet/shoe fit/preferences-I wear wright socks for trail running - they have 2 layers so the layers rub against each other rather than one layer rubbing against your skin.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @Duck_Puddle : It takes a very thrifty person to buy used BodyGlide. I wouldn't even have thought to look for it!

@SarahMWong15 : A day at Disney can mean 8 or more hours of standing and walking. If you don't walk daily, you won't be ready for it. Regardless of shoes and socks, you need to work up to something like that-- walking daily for some amount of time to work up your calluses (not to mention your muscles). The fact that the blisters are on the balls of your feet means to me that there's not so much wrong with your shoes (which will affect heels and toes) but it's more that your feet just aren't ready for it.

Once you get blisters in that location, you pretty much have to take some time off your feet for them to heal. If you walk a second day like that, it could get infected. Not good!

Best of luck and have a good time.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    +1 to Good shoes and thin, moisture wicking socks.

As a former ballet dancer, for whom "good shoes" didn't necessarily prevent blisters, I usually stick a piece of masking tape or athletic tape over the problem spot, BEFORE there's a blister, if I know I'm going into a tough schedule of wear on my feets.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

what worked for me:

^^Exactly this. Blisters are caused by friction. That list helps minimize things that contribute to the cause
    • Shoes that don't fit properly cause the skin on your feet to rub in areas where it's not used to rubbing. Either against other places on your feet or against the shoe material itself.
    • Moisture washes body oils off and thus increases friction. Get socks, and shoes, that are ventilated enough and wick the moisture so this doesn't happen.
    • When all else fails body glide is the elixir of the gods! Apply it anywhere on your body where friction is an issue, including your feet. I used it heavily between my toes, for example, for long runs.

The other thing that will, eventually, help is callouses. You will develop them in places that are problematic.