How can I exercise if I'm a quadriplegic?

angelachildressnichols
angelachildressnichols Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2020 in Motivation and Support
Hi! I'm Angela, 34, & have been paralyzed from the chest-down for over 13 years. I've also been getting the Depo shot for around 8 years now to prevent some personal female problems I had and don't have any more thanks to the shot. However, I believe it's made me gain weight that I really don't need because it makes me where I can't move around as much when I need to like I was able to do before the weight gain, & I'm really hurting my bf's back when he lifts me to put me in and get me out of the shower. I resorted to asking my Dr. if he could prescribe me something to help me lose weight and I told him why. He prescribed me Adipex, half a pill daily. I don't think I added this weight on by myself because I eat 2 Nutri-grain bars when I wake up, then either one of my microwave meals of Zatarain's rice & chicken with a very small amount of chips, or microwaveable broccoli and add shredded cheese or a hot pocket with a very small amount of chips, and some nights I eat ice cream or yogurt then at night I may have 2 Nutri-Grain bars. But, my normal eating routine is one meal and 2 Nutri Grain bars when I wake and before I go to bed. I recently went from drinking pink lemonade that comes in a can and a little bit of water (one 16.9 fl. oz. bottle of water) to drinking water only. I used to eat much more and drink tea and I was in a size 3. I also have scoliosis, and my back is curved so bad and my belly sticks out and to the side. Not to mention my arms reminding me of elephant ears when looking at them from the side! And, my face looks so fat. Okay, that's one of Depo's side effects. I don't like how my bf does so much for me and now I'm causing him the pain in his back every time he lifts me and sometimes, it hurts him so bad he can't straighten it for days, it hurts when he sits or stands, and can't sleep because of the pain either. I have got to stay on the Depo shot. I know of its long-term and short-term side effects. And, if it weren't for my bf, I'd be back in a nursing home. I've tried convincing my bf that we could wash my hair in a different way than in a shower. I even missed an appointment last week because the public transportation ran into an issue with something and it would've made me about an hour later than my appointment time so my doctor's staff said I had to reschedule, although I told my doctor's nurse about the situation with my bf's back and that I wouldn't be able to come any time soon because he'd given me a shower that morning and his back had to heal but she told me the latest I could come and still get my medicine was the following week, 7 days later. However, my bf heard me and sternly told me to stop worrying about his back and to make my appointments and let him deal with the rest. He doesn't want help and he's not going to change from giving me showers instead of trying new things, so I've got to lose weight and quickly. Do not get me wrong. I love taking showers and I have had my hair washed in the bed, outside with jugs of hot water for rinsing out the shampoo and conditioner, with the cap that washes your hair and rinses it all in one that used to be priced around $8, and with dry shampoo spray. I've also taken many, many, many bed baths. So, if you can picture yourself going without a shower for, say, a long time, you'll feel very spoiled getting one every 5-7 days, am I right?

If you have questions or suggestions for me that aren't related to the discussion title, I'd be happy to answer and get advice!! Thank you!!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    1. Are you weighing your food and meticulously logging the calories you consume? That would be the first place to start.
    2. Are you able to go to physiotherapy or have a physiotherapist come to your home?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    1. Sounds like you should talk to your doctor any your physical therapist. They should be able to help you determine both a good weight and how to go about that.
    2. Also re doctor appointments check locally many places have a van service either run by a charity or public transit that can help pick up people who need it for doctors appointments.
    3. Do you qualify for assistance for someone to come in maybe an hour a day to help you with personal hygiene?
  • I just started my diet but since I figure my weight gain is from my Depo shot, I have not weighed anything I've ate or drank nor have I logged my calories. But, I will start and I'm going to stop eating chips, ice cream, etc. As far as physical therapy, I've already been thinking about this because although I went to several places and did a lot of therapy, it was a long time ago and I have already begun noticing before starting my diet that I really got to get therapy going again and I mean physical and occupational therapy. I do RSVP for public transit for every doctor's appointment and the only one we have available is ran by Logistic Care out of Valdosta, GA. Even their driver for that trip I was supposed to go to the doctor on called the Valdosta office and have done this several other times in times where Logistics Care messes up, which, is way too often. That's all we have here and instead of doing Medicaid trips before the public ones like they are supposed to, they want the public ones over the Medicaid-paid ones because of the money and when you have to go somewhere hours away, a driver has to want to go they told me when I had appts in Augusta @ the Dental College, which, was a great opportunity for me that got flushed down the drain because Logistic Care wasn't reliable and made me miss appts which is why I lost the opportunity I desperately needed. And, as far as personal hygiene, well, believe it or not, since I went to the Shepherd's Center, Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation & I've had to fend & do for myself unexpectantly & fearfully a lot in the past, plus being a Mom to the most beautiful little boy who's not so little anymore has motivated me with everything and has been so powerful, that and how much you can do when you're stubborn and determined for your child to know you again when they're a toddler, I can do a lot more than many quadriplegics can. I can transfer myself to and from the bed. So, to answer you clearly, I can bathe my whole body while in the shower or laying on the bed. I can raise up on my arms and bathe myself but I do need help with someone bringing the water to where I'm bathing and rinsing. I brush my teeth, paint my fingernails, brush my hair, apply anti-aging serum to my face and neck at night after cleaning my face, can put on all of my makeup including liquid and any kind of eyeliner and eye makeup. I put my contact lens in and take them out. And, my aide is my bf and that's how he wants it, so, it's easier for us both. However, I do tell him from time to time although it makes him give me a look and say that he does not and for me not to say that again.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I will add this regarding medicine making you gain weight. Medicine can cause weight gain in 1 of 2 ways: it can cause some additional water weight retention, which is not fat but does add weight, or it can cause you to eat more which causes a calorie surplus. It doesn't cause you to gain fat directly from the medicine though. It can only be a supporting factor.

Even if you are not eating what you feel is a lot, it may be too much for you and your situation, especially with limited movement reducing the amount of calories your body burns naturally throughout the day. I would recommend getting a recommendation to a registered dietician who specializes in people dealing with paralysis. They can help you with a plan and an appropriate amount of calories, as standard recommendations may not be applicable.