TDEE calculators

Options
I've tried a few, they give wildly different numbers - for example I just got 5 numbers ranging from 1773 to 2139! Thats 366 difference - virtually a plate of food!

Is there a reliable method of calculating TDEE? Is one of the many online calculators better? Or is it just trial and error - I could go with the average of my list of numbers, which is 1971.

Grateful for any pointers.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went with the links and steps in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

The calculators are at Fat2Fit, and you start with the Military Body Fat calculator to get your BF%. Then enter that plus other info into the BMR calculator, setting your goal weight to your current weight (as per instructions in the thread), which gives you your current TDEE.

I've been using that site, method and tools for over a year with great success.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I went with the links and steps in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

The calculators are at Fat2Fit, and you start with the Military Body Fat calculator to get your BF%. Then enter that plus other info into the BMR calculator, setting your goal weight to your current weight (as per instructions in the thread), which gives you your current TDEE.

I've been using that site, method and tools for over a year with great success.

This for me, too. Although I switch between the BMR (MFP's own) and TDEE methods depending on what I'm doing, that post has been brilliant.
    It usually is all trial and error though. I'd start with the highest number. If you maintain after a couple of weeks (nothing shorter than that), then drop it down to the next one until the scale moves.
    If you've been eating a lot less than that, it might take a month of gaining or maintaining before your body fixes itself and gets used to it though.