No sedation Cataract surgery?

CeeBeeSlim
CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
Is this possible? I can’t understand why when I tell docs my elderly mom will not get sedation - she’s phobic - docs shrug off her concern. “It’s safe, quick, our anesthesiologists know what they are doing”. I’m just not sure why they either say it can’t be done, or they don’t want to do it. To shrug it off seems problematic or am I being overly concerned? She’ll do local but does not want ANY sedation.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Is this possible? I can’t understand why when I tell docs my elderly mom will not get sedation - she’s phobic - docs shrug off her concern. “It’s safe, quick, our anesthesiologists know what they are doing”. I’m just not sure why they either say it can’t be done, or they don’t want to do it. To shrug it off seems problematic or am I being overly concerned? She’ll do local but does not want ANY sedation.

Different doctors probably have different SOPs for the surgery. My understanding is that non-sedation cataract surgery is fairly new so maybe not that many Dr.s are doing it yet.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    @cwolfman13. I think you’re right. It’s new so not as common as I had hoped. Thanks.

@OHFlamingo - this makes sense. If only the doctors could have been as informative, but I’ve learned that you have to be very specific and direct with your questions to the docs. My bad. Appreciate the insight and thanks for the well-wishes.