Review my diary and HELP

I have lost 6 pounds but gained a pound this week! I’m worried I’m not eating enough. How do I open up my diary for help and suggestions

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited February 2020
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Scroll down and set the privacy to public.

That said, it's normal for the scale to fluctuate and for you to show a gain now and then.
    You've lost 6 lbs over what time frame?
    Have you changed your exercise routine?

Helpful links:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why/p1

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • ashleydee515
    ashleydee515 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank You. I have set it to pubic. I started a month ago so 6 pounds in a month but it happened mostly the first two weeks.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Are you doing Fri weigh ins? Looks like you had a couple of high sodium days this week which can cause water retention. Completely normal, nothing you have to change, but it'll make the number on the scale go up before it goes down again. You'll hear this over and over.. "Weight loss isn't linear." It's full of ups and downs and very well explained in the two links I included above.

One thing you may want to change, it doesn't look like you're using a food scale. Here's an example of why you would be better off adding that to your tool box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcB7GbLmIM

When you move into high fat items, avocados and peanut butter, for instance, the difference is even larger.
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    If you just started it could possibly be mostly water weight in those 6 lbs. if you consume foods high in sodium will cause a slight bump in weight due to water retention.

Stay in a constant caloric deficit under your bmr/tdee calories and consistent with your nutrition and you will see the results you want to see. One thing that helped me was getting a food scale and weighing out my portions. Since I’ve gotten one I’ve lost another 15 pounds. It really has helped with accurately logging my intake.

If you weigh daily don’t treat the numbers as absolutes. Weight fluctuates a lot. If you do weigh daily use an app called happy scale that trends out your weight-loss over time so you can see how your progress is shaping up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,018 Member
    Are you a premenopausal woman? If so, in the first month of weight loss, hormonal water-weight fluctuations are almost certain to introduce surprises at some point(s), and the exact timing can vary between women. That would just be water weight, not fat, so not worth worrying over.

If your eating is on point, ride it out. Odds are it'll drop off again just as mysteriously as it appeared. After a couple of months, you'll start learning your patterns.

Best wishes!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    It's totally normal. You'll lose a handful of pounds, gain a pound, lose two pounds, gain half a pound. It's a general downward trend because we don't weigh a "single number" consistently every day. We weigh in a range depending on how much food is in our intestines, water retention, etc.
  • vegasgirl0825
    vegasgirl0825 Posts: 43 Member
    I looked at your diary and overall it looks like you are eating a good balance of foods. The questions I have first revolve around your calorie goal...I'm not sure how much you weigh/your activity level, but your calorie goal seemed high to me, so maybe revisit that. The second question is about when during the day you are eating your snacks. Many days it looks like you have a lot of snacks, which is totally fine if needed, but are you eating a lot of them at night? I've found when I eat a large portion of my calories at night I'm not as happy with my weight loss. So, if that's the case, possibly stopping eating a few hours before bed. Lastly, an observation--you obviously are a coffee drinker (I'm not), so your breakfast often looks to be a Dunkin drink. That can be fine, but if it's causing you to not be satisfied and then you are eating more, maybe consider something different. Just a little feedback!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    OP, you can pretty much ignore everything in that ^^ post. If you've used MFP properly to set up your calories, you're fine. Timing of food has no bearing whatsoever on weight loss, so if you are having your snacks at night, feel free to carry on! And you're obviously staying within your calorie goal, so you can ignore the coffee thing too.

And seconding the recommendation for a food scale.