Workout Plan help - any suggestions?

Options
Hi all,
I posted yesterday and want to make a little more effort into getting into a workout plan that does a combination of weights and other cardio/circuit/hiit exercises. I realize diet is most important, but am trying to find the right program for me as I find it easier to follow a guide.

One thing about weight lifting that i've never been sure about is how much I need to do in a given workout before the returns kind of diminish.

Anyway, here is my wish list and am curious if anyone has any thoughts to a similar program they've done?
  • 45 minutes - 4 or 5 times a week
  • Mix of weight lifting on one day, cardio/circuit/hiit on another
  • Can be done at home - I don't have leg machines but have a squat/bench rack
  • Goal is weight loss (fat) while hopefully keeping muscle (not looking to gain)

Thanks to anyone who has some suggestions!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For weight lifting I would do a full body barbell workout 3x per week.

Squat
    Bench
    BB Row
    Deadlift
    OH Press
    Pull Ups

That's going to pretty much hit everything.

Cardio...whatever you enjoy doing. I prefer to road ride or mountain bike outside. In the winter I take spin classes or ride on my indoor bike trainer unless it's an unusually nice weekend day and I can get outside.
  • acmworkholdings
    acmworkholdings Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Any thought on the rep/set range? I like the idea of doing the same thing each day for consistency
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Any thought on the rep/set range? I like the idea of doing the same thing each day for consistency

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. High weight (as % of max) with lower reps (1-5) is optimal for strength, Medium weight with medium reps (8-12) is optimal for growth and physique. High rep and low weight (12+) is optimal for muscular endurance.

I typically work in a variety of rep ranges. I work with a trainer once per week and we do some strength work, some hypertrophy range work, and some endurance work. We also work on power and explosiveness, balance, mobility, and other stuff. My goals don't really revolve around any of those mentioned above singularly...my goals are largely better athletic performance and fitness as well as preserving muscle mass and maintaining good bone density as I age. I do all kinds of stuff with my trainer, but I do a basic full body barbell routine I posted above on my own on another day.