Sick of being sick

A whiney post im afraid. I have been ill for weeks! Started with a wheeze on 27th when i went for a run, i had a chest infection. 2 rounds of antibiotics and steroids, blue and brown inhalers (not normally asthmatic) 4 urgent care appointments and i still feel rubbish! The infection is sorted but everything is still inflamed and we think there is underlying virus as temperature is still erratic and i am short of breath on exercising ( by which i mean moving!) and exhausted! I am so fed up! I have just sat in my crossfit gym watching my son have PT, and all i can do still is watch. I am by no means super fit but exercise (jogging, cycling, scaled crossfit ) is really important to my mental health and i am missing it so much. Felt like such a fraud just sitting and watching but honestly even walking at anything more than about 2 miles an hour is a struggle and i am on orders to rest as much as possible to try and beat this thing. I feel old, flabby and so far from being able to do this stuff. Any good tips for beating asthma /chest rubbish all welcome!

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    (((Hugs))) I hope you start feeling better soon.

I feel your pain and would love to hear any tips you collect too.

Caught a silly cold sometime back in November. Spent Christmas week in hospital because that silly bugger ended up transforming into a pneumonia with an asthmatic status included. It's beginning of February and I'm slowly (and I mean slowly) beginning to feel human again. I only started to manage to climb more than half a floor at a time in January. Still can't make it to the 6th floor in the university's classroom building. I have to switch to the elevator at the second floor. I used to make it without thinking before November. Doctor told me I'd have to be patient with that one. At least I'm off most of my meds now. Just a rescue inhaler, but I haven't had to use it for nearly 2 weeks now.

I am so done with it. :angry:
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    If you're post viral there is nothing you can do except follow your body's lead and rest when it tells you to. I had that awful cold/flu thing over Christmas and it took a few weeks to feel 100% again. I think we tend to underestimate the strain an illness can put on the body and expect to bounce back but we can't always do that. A GP once told me that convalesence is one of the most useful tools in his advice arsenal but one of the least rated by his patients. Don't fight your body. Give it time and it will sort itself out.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Thank both for your replies. Saturday we went to the zoo - we always do this for asd sons birthday so no way we could not do it I managed an hour (still walking slowly) then we had a break while kids had a play. Went for a another walk but after 30 minutes we had 5 minutes uphill and that Was it! I was done. Ladyreva78 hope you feel better soon.