Cardio/ muscle building

2»

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Various types of loaded carries, i.e., farmers walks, suitcase carries, waiter carries, etc build tremendous, function core strength and have a cardio element in them as does pushing/pulling a sled as mentioned above.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I have semi visible abs right now. I do zero direct ab work. I deadlift heavy without a belt...I do all lifting beltless as long as possible. That's done more to develop my core than any planks and leg raises I did before.

My abs would be much more defined if I was a bit leaner.

Like all muscle development, you are going to have to build a muscular base through lifting, time, and patience. You can cut all you want and be lean, but if you haven't built abs...you won't have abs.

So lift, eat, lift, bulk, lift, cut, repeat as long as necessary.
  • jack1336
    jack1336 Posts: 38 Member
    I have semi visible abs right now. I do zero direct ab work. I deadlift heavy without a belt...I do all lifting beltless as long as possible. That's done more to develop my core than any planks and leg raises I did before.

My abs would be much more defined if I was a bit leaner.

Like all muscle development, you are going to have to build a muscular base through lifting, time, and patience. You can cut all you want and be lean, but if you haven't built abs...you won't have abs.

So lift, eat, lift, bulk, lift, cut, repeat as long as necessary.

I take weight gainer protein powder before bed on workout days only (with whole milk). Other than that my workout/diet is pretty much the same.

Honestly maybe my problem is that there is too mich bulk. My arms and shoulders, chest, etc are huge but they feel like muscle with a layer of fat.
    Should I start cutting?
    My workout routine is the PHAT routine 5 times a week.
  • jack1336
    jack1336 Posts: 38 Member
    Edit. It turns out i weigh 240. So it’s definitely time to cut
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    jack1336 wrote: »
    My main thong is to gain muscle. So I do a calorie surplus. However I want to be able to loose fat, I have bits and pieces of it (so to speak) on the sides (lovehandles) and i THINK in my chest (though I don’t know if that’s possible and I’m just over analyzing it). I work out 5 times a week (PHAT program).
    Though I feel like I’m bulking very slowly. Am I missing something? Is it Cardio? There are plenty of days where i seem skinny fat.

PS
    Thanks for the core workouts rileyes! And yes I know six pack comes with all diet.

It's impossible to build muscle and loose fat at the same time unless you're a newbie in fitness. In order to loose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Manga23 wrote: »
    My main thong is to gain muscle. So I do a calorie surplus. However I want to be able to loose fat, I have bits and pieces of it (so to speak) on the sides (lovehandles) and i THINK in my chest (though I don’t know if that’s possible and I’m just over analyzing it). I work out 5 times a week (PHAT program).
    Though I feel like I’m bulking very slowly. Am I missing something? Is it Cardio? There are plenty of days where i seem skinny fat.

PS
    Thanks for the core workouts rileyes! And yes I know six pack comes with all diet.

It's impossible to build muscle and loose fat at the same time unless you're a newbie in fitness. In order to loose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit.

Or if he is obese and at 240 he certainly may be able to gain a small amount of muscle while cutting
  • Manga23
    edited March 2020

Or if he is obese and at 240 he certainly may be able to gain a small amount of muscle while cutting

He can......obese and newbies can build muscle mass while cutting. He needs to calculate his TDEE, eat enough protein, lift heavy 🤪💪and have patience
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited March 2020

He can......obese and newbies can build muscle mass while cutting. He needs to calculate his TDEE, eat enough protein, lift heavy 🤪💪and have patience

Off topic but loving your profile pic 😂
  • Manga23
    edited March 2020
    Off topic but loving your profile pic 😂

If you want to train your biceps take my dog 🤣🤣
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

PS

Over generalization. Even intermediate lifters have the ability to gain some muscle in a deficit. Given the variables, such statements aren't helpful as they need to consider things like programming, diet, age, etc...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1
  • Manga23
    psuLemon wrote: »

PS

Over generalization. Even intermediate lifters have the ability to gain some muscle in a deficit. Given the variables, such statements aren't helpful as they need to consider things like programming, diet, age, etc...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1

Thanks for the thread. But side note that it's not easy to accomplish.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

PS

Be very, very cautious about using the word impossible - it takes just one example to prove the statement false!
    "Slow", "difficult" and "impossible" have very different meanings.

But in this case both your statements ignore that the majority of people can recomp (simultaneously lose fat/gain muscle), bulking/cutting cycles are vastly more widespread than when I was growing up but they are still a minority approach in the general population who simply strive to "get in shape" by doing more exercise.
  • Manga23
    Okay maybe I need to refine my point of view a little......... Body recomposition protocols are typically more effective if:

You’re a beginner. Meaning that you’re within your first year of proper and consistent training.You’re detrained. Meaning that you’ve taken at least a couple months off from training OR you’ve never really trained or eaten properly and consistently.You have quite a high body fat (for example over 25%).You’re an intermediate lifter ready for a “slow cut”.

Keep in mind that if you’re a more intermediate lifter, body recomposition can still occur in some cases but at a much slower rate. And mainly only if you’re at a higher body fat % and willing to perform a slow cut.

Impossible is not the word I had to use so maybe TS can take advantage of this
    sijomial wrote: »

PS

Be very, very cautious about using the word impossible - it takes just one example to prove the statement false!
    "Slow", "difficult" and "impossible" have very different meanings.

But in this case both your statements ignore that the majority of people can recomp (simultaneously lose fat/gain muscle), bulking/cutting cycles are vastly more widespread than when I was growing up but they are still a minority approach in the general population who simply strive to "get in shape" by doing more exercise.