Advice for those in their early 40s

Options
Someone asked a great question buried in another thread I thought I would bring out into the open...

Anyone in their 50s plus have any advice to those trying to stay very active throughout their 40s? Anything you wish you knew about eating and/or exercise as you get older? What should those in their 40s expect during their 40s as the get closer to 50?

I couldn’t find another tread on this, but it must have been asked before...

Replies

• ChantayMija
    ChantayMija Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe walking is a great thing!

If I could I would walk everywhere but I have no walking buddy!

But my dad is 73 and looks great! He eats mostly vegan, occasionally not vegan.

But he always fixes things around the house, cleans dishes, cooks, cares for the garden, and walks to and fro to appointments on the bus!

He’s doing great!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy so that you want to do it. I didn't get serious about fitness until 45. I'm 51 now, and in the best shape of my life. I see women much older than I am at the gym and realize that if I want to look like them, I need to keep doing what I'm doing.

Oh, and one thing I did was to learn to swim. I have this irrational fear that something will happen to me (diagnosis, car accident, whatever) and I'm going to end up unable to run, hike, lift, etc. So whatever it is, I'm hoping that swimming is something I can have in my back pocket. Baseless and irrational, I know, but I am watching family members and friends become injured and sidelined and when I mention swimming, they just grimace. I want to be able to keep some level of fitness if I can't bear weight somewhere.
  • Scarlettriestorun
    Scarlettriestorun Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 now and my advice would be get fit and healthy because it takes ages to recover from illness when you get a bit older !!
  • KT20THERS
    KT20THERS Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great post. I’m in the same boat looking to stay ahead of any major changes or challenges.