Daily calorie limit didn't adjust as weight we t down?

Options
When I started MFP I was given 7500kj a day. Since then I've lost 17kg. The last month or so my weight stopped going down, so I calculated my calorie needs on another site, and turns out I've been overeating for my current weight (so no weight loss). I thought MFP automatically adjusted your calorie goals as you put in your weight?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Bah, it's meant to do it automatically, every 5kg I think, but sometimes it doesn't and you need to go back in to goals and enter your current weight as today's weight (even if it already has that number there). Give that a go and see if it updates :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe a 17kg difference would wipe out a deficit of even the minimal 250 cal.
    How much deficit did you select - 2 lb weekly?

I'm betting the other site is unlike MFP which is about the only one around figuring out daily calories with NO workouts being expected and accounted for.

Almost every other site out there is for TDEE based on a 1919 study.

It normally would ask you if you wanted to adjust your goals every 10 lbs lost, that's about how much it takes to be meaningful - about 50-75 calories.

Hence the reason I believe the weight change failure to adjust would not wipe out a deficit, merely make a tad smaller.

You are probably experiencing other reasons for fluctuating weight loss that appears to stop.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    MFP is a bit inconsistent with this, I've found. Sometimes when I record a new weight, it will give me a new (lower) calorie goal. And sometimes it won't but I don't realize that for a while. Then when I've gotten fed up and decided to switch into maintenance...and then realize I don't want to be in maintenance and go back to loss, THEN it will give me a new calorie goal. Which is usually disappointing because I just wanted to keep losing weight, not be more restricted at it. But that's how it goes, I guess.

My point is, you may have to sort of manipulate MFP into adjusting it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Used to be, every time you lost 10 pounds you'd be asked if you wanted to recalculate. It's been a while since I lost 10 pounds, so I don't know if this is still working as designed.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Used to be, every time you lost 10 pounds you'd be asked if you wanted to recalculate. It's been a while since I lost 10 pounds, so I don't know if this is still working as designed.

It doesn't. I hit that mark a bit ago and it didn't ask me a thing. But maybe that was just me.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It doesn't update manually for me. I need to confirm my weight, activity level and desired weight loss manually to update my calorie goal.

I've lost over 12kg and my calorie goal is down from 1750 to 1590.