Using only excercise to create deficit

Options
13»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Of course it CAN be done... it just turns losing weight into a guessing game instead of a clear/linear process.

You get to guess that you exercised enough and guess that your portions were small enough.

How so? OP is just using another way to create a calorie deficit. However you decide to do it, you have the same options to estimate your exercise calorie burn and measuring your food accurately to understand how much you're eating.

OP won't be "guessing" any more than someone who is using MFP in the typical way (creating a calorie deficit through planning to eat less, logging food to ensure they're meeting that goal, and adding back the calories burnt through additional exercise).

There is a lot less guessing when I weigh and log EVERYTHING (assuming I use reputable sources for the calorie counts). Yes, it's not an exact science - but it's as close as the average person can get.

I'm not seeing that OP is planning to not log her food or measure it accurately. Her plan is to eat the number of calories she needs to maintain and then use exercise to create a deficit. Implied in that is that she is planning to log her food, she will need a way to ensure she's eating what she plans to.

Hi all, thanks for the info

Just to clarify - I never said I wasn’t going to log!! Just have my goals set at maintenance, am still logging everything to ensure I am not over eating... my maintenance calories are 1960 and the smallest deficit option (0.2kg per week) is around 1600 (which I can never stick to as I feel as though I need those extra snacks to have enough energy. My question was if I eat at LOGGED maintenance calories and don’t log exercise will I still be creating a big enough deficit to lose?

ANY number under your true maintenance calories is a big enough number to lose - just the speed of loss varies.

By the way you can also manually set a calorie goal, you aren't limited to just setting a deficit by choosing a particular rate of loss.
    Which means you could experiment with 1700, 1800 or any other number between maintenance and the number you have found unsustainable.