Am I hitting a plateau? Or is my body just done losing?

Options
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster. I’d love some advice :)

I’m a 25 year old woman, and I’m 5’4. My SW last September was 155ish (this was after losing 15 more pounds a few years back—my highest ever weight was 170! Anyway since September I’ve lost 22 lbs, and am now hovering around 132.5. My initial goal was 135 but I feel a bit chubby still, and am between pants sizes 6 and 4. I wanna get down to a 4 so shopping is easier, and have set my new goal as 125.

For some reason though I’m not losing weight anymore. I eat 1200- 1400 calories a day and do 30 minutes to an hour of intense cardio 5-6 days a week. I also have lately started adding more resistance training, using weight lifting machines and doing push ups and stuff too (so maybe I’m gaining muscle??) At this rate I was losing 1-2 pounds a week before...but for the past four weeks, I’ve only lost like 2-3 pounds total!

I have struggled with eating disorders in the past, and am proud of myself for doing it the healthy way this time. Things like intermittent fasting, even though they’re a great option for some, don’t feel safe for me because of my history. So I feel like if what I’m doing doesn’t work I’m out of options.

I know I’m technically at a healthy weight (first time in my adult life I’ve not been overweight, yay!). If I’m doing all I can and not losing much is my body just trying to tell me to stop losing?

Replies

• remotebutterfly
    remotebutterfly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Your calorie intake is also very low for an active person. Are you eating your exercise calories in addition to what MFP gives you as baseline?

Hmm hadn’t thought that would impact anything! I’m not eating back the exercise calories — early on in my weight loss I did that but I found that it meant I wasn’t losing as much—my metabolism sucked when I started losing weight, and my body wanted to cling to all the extra calories it could.

Would that be different now that I’m a healthy weight? I could go up in calories, just really don’t want to sabotage my hard work, especially because honestly at 1,400 calories I’m never hungry.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I had similar height and weight as you when losing, and I ended up needing to increase calories to sustain exercise. My doctor recommended 1800, as I was still losing on 1600, and was having bradycardia and low bp. You are still losing and are in a healthy weight range. Try increasing calories by 50-100 or so a day for a week and see what happens and how you feel.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I’ve got similar stats to you: F, 5’ 4”, 26 yrs and 156lbs. I’m eating 2000 calories to lose weight since I have a history of ED too, I’m losing weight slowly- around 0.5 lbs a week. I exercise around 5 days week and focus more on weights. You need to eat more. You mind is thinking I’m terms of restriction because you also mentioned Intermittent Fasting. You want to restrict more and more and more. I’ve stopped IF, low carb and any other ‘rules’ that I had. My advice is to increase your calories slowly and then do a recomposition. You will still weigh the same but slowly replace the fat with muscle and look much slimmer.