Stomach pain after eating

For the last 6 days, my stomach hurts after I eat anything, and so I’m not eating up to my goal calories. I thought it was a stomach bug at first, but stomachache is the only symptom I’ve had. Even now, my stomach still hurts after having 5 crackers. I’ve averaged 1050 calories/day this week, when my goal is 1550 (and I usually average more like 1700, actually). I’ve never had this before. Any thoughts on what could be the cause? I’m not sure at what point to see a doctor. Thanks!

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Definitely call a doctor. My close friend is just out of hospital after the appendix burst. Hopefully yours is nothing but don't wait with these things, better to check there's nothing serious going on.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Ulcer maybe? Definitely see a doctor.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    have you lost much weight b4 this started. is it a bit higher up in your bellyÉ. if so it could be your gallbladder as weight loss can cause attacks. i still think you should see a dr though.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    have you lost much weight b4 this started. is it a bit higher up in your bellyÉ. if so it could be your gallbladder as weight loss can cause attacks. i still think you should see a dr though.

I had lost about 20 lbs— started at 163, and was down to 143 when this started. Down to 140 today. It does feel higher than a typical stomachache, but it’s not very localized. I made an appt for tomorrow, hoping to give it one more day. Thanks!
  • agilland2918
    agilland2918 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. If you are trying to gain weight and not being able to, and now you have pain, possibly celiac disease. Often when people try to gain weight they eat more carbs, often containing gluten. If you have trouble gaining weight it could also be due to celiac because your body doesn’t absorb nutrients the way it should. Even the crackers you ate... probably gluten. I was hospitalized 3 times before they figured out I had it. A blood test to show the antibodies is first, real easy. Good luck, and hope it isn’t celiac, it sucks.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    What did the doc say?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Hi. If you are trying to gain weight and not being able to, and now you have pain, possibly celiac disease. Often when people try to gain weight they eat more carbs, often containing gluten. If you have trouble gaining weight it could also be due to celiac because your body doesn’t absorb nutrients the way it should. Even the crackers you ate... probably gluten. I was hospitalized 3 times before they figured out I had it. A blood test to show the antibodies is first, real easy. Good luck, and hope it isn’t celiac, it sucks.

she's trying to lose weight and the problem only started maximum 2 weeks ago. Before starting with the testing for celiacs, simple things like an ulcer or a gastritis should be ruled out. And for that she needs to head to a doctor. which up to now she hasn't.

Things like testing for celiacs can always be done if a doctor hasn't found anything. But, I repeat, she hasn't visited the doctor yet AT ALL for her problem...
  • ladyreva78
    What did the doc say?

She couldn’t come up with anything obvious, but I’m going back tomorrow to test for H. Pylori, and then she’s referring me to a GI doc. It didn’t seem like gallbladder. We’ll see!

Good luck!

I hope it's 'just' H.Pylori. Cause those suckers are easy to obliterate with the correct medications :smiley:
  • ladyreva78
    Thanks again everyone. I’m still having the same problem. I did manage to eat 1350 calories yesterday, but just now had to push away half of my lunch. Anyone who knows me knows I never leave food on my plate!

I did the h pylori test today. There was a gross sweet liquid I had to drink. After I left I thought, “Now, how do I log that?” 😆

urg. my condolences!

Milk and easily digested foods (white bread for example) tended to go down easier for me when I was suffering from those buggers. You could test out various liquid/soft foods to see what works.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's *only* that!
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hope you feel better! I had H Pylori, except it went misdiagnosed as about 3 other things. It took 2 years to finally get the diagnosis and get started on antibiotics, by then the damage was done and my digestion was never the same. I still eat small portions, I never clean a plate.
    I'm hopful for you since you sound informed and saw a doc quickly that whatever your problem is it will clear up with a bit of help.
    Plain rice and plain baked chicken were my go to foods
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited February 2020
    I've been having stomach pain, mostly after eating but sometimes in the middle of the night. We're in the middle of testing and have no diagnosis yet but it sounded like GERD or an ulcer to my doctor.

She mailed me a prescription for Omeprazole but after reading about the side effects I went a different route. (My mother has silent reflux, also ruled out PPIs, and had been treating it successfully with lifestyle changes.

I read about DGL for reducing stomach acid in a book, but this has a lot of the same info: https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/dgl-for-acid-reflux#benefits

...A 2018 study found that DGL was more effective than acid-suppressive drugs. This supported earlier research.

Chewable DGL is better absorbed than when it is in capsule form, but unfortunately for me most chewables contain stevia, sucrolose, or other sweeteners I find nasty. (I am ok with sorbitol and mannitol.)

I bought Natural Factors, Chewable DGL 400 mg https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B95J6FA/ while shopping on my phone and cancelled after I got a better look on my computer, but still rec'd the order. I don't like the stevia, but can tolerate it. I've been taking it for 5 days and it is helping! (I'm also doing the majority of the diet and lifestyle changes recommended for GERD/ulcers.)

If anyone can recommend a chewable DGL brand that uses sugar, sorbitol, mannitol, or no sweeteners, please advise. I did find this https://good-earth.com/product/dgl-original-100-chewable/ which is unsweetened, but would prefer to buy from an online store I know, like Amazon, iherb, or Emerson.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    I've had two gastric ulcers before. The pain was so bad I would almost double over eating bread or crackers. My diet was mostly liquid until they healed. For that all I needed was PPIs for a few months.