19 with Hypothyroidism, Help??

Options
2»

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    you can do a search. there are a lot of us here.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago (at age 24) and have been taking Synthroid.

One of the things I learned from this site (which I later confirmed with my doctor and the pharmacist) was that I was taking my medicine incorrectly!!! I was also taking multivitamins in the morning and I had no idea that if you take a multivitamin or have a lot of calcium intake right after taking your pill (even outside of the 30min-1 hour window they tell you to wait before eating) it can counteract the medicine!!!

Considering how long you've been on the medicine you're probably already aware of that though. Ever since I've made that change, I haven't had any problems losing. I've also changed my diet entirely--no more processed/fried/greasy foods and I'm working out almost every day.

I've only been working seriously at it since the end of July and I've already lost almost 10 pounds! You can lose weight with hypothyroidism but you might have to work harder to find the right balance of diet and exercise for your body. Good luck!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I never had with weight until I got on Synthroid, believe it or not. My medication level was too high, and I was hyper, so I was starving constantly and gained weight. If your medication is of the right level, you should be able to lose weight without too much trouble, especially being so young. Just eat a deficit and you should get there.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed February 2013. I'm 27 years old. Weight loss is slower this go round, but I'm down 26 pounds. It's possible. Eat at a deficit, and exercise....don't get discouraged. It will come off!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just my experience with it, but since your metabolism is already kind of compromised by the disorder, trying to lose weight by eating low calories, only seems to make it worse in the long run. I kept trying this and thinking I would just strength train when I get to my goal, but after a while I would get tired of the strict deficit I was eating at (like most people do) and I would just start eating normal again, and my weight would double back on in no time, so this time around, I am working on building muscle and weight loss will just have to come later. I figured out you have to lay the foundation first if you want to make it last. Muscle, IMO is the foundation, plus it will help with the metabolism having muscle that needs fueled. Other than that, make sure you have a good Doctor who checks your levels regularly and try to be patient. I noticed my weight usually comes off a little slower.
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If your TSH etc levels are in the correct range with your synthroid medication then you should have no problems losing. In fact as you're levels are actually monitored you are in a better position than someone who might be hypo and not realize it.

I take synthroid (had thyroid removed few years back) and I've had no problems losing.

I agree totally with this. Once levels corrected and maintained with synthroid you no longer have hypothyroidism symptoms. You can take this off the list of things that make it difficult to reach my weight loss goals.
This discussion has been closed.