Marathon Meals:

Options
For you Marathoners, what do you eat for dinner the night before the big run? Do you eat close to bed right before laying down or way in advance before going to sleep? Do you eat extra portions of food for endurance the next day? I am running my first one on Sunday. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcome. Thank you so much...

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat a bunch of pizza or a big bowl of ramen (both of which were tested prior to multiple long runs).

I eat 2-3 hours before bed because that is when I always have dinner. If I felt hungry before going to sleep, I'd probably have a small snack (but that has never happened). I try to eat a bit extra all week, not just the day prior (which according to what I've read is really too late).

The most important advice I follow is DON'T EAT A LOT OF ANYTHING NEW. I've heard some horror stories.

The morning of, I usually have a bagel with peanut butter, but if I remember correctly you already have your pre-run meal situation figured out.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I eat a bunch of pizza or a big bowl of ramen (both of which were tested prior to multiple long runs).

I eat 2-3 hours before bed because that is when I always have dinner. If I felt hungry before going to sleep, I'd probably have a small snack (but that has never happened). I try to eat a bit extra all week, not just the day prior (which according to what I've read is really too late).

The most important advice I follow is DON'T EAT A LOT OF ANYTHING NEW. I've heard some horror stories.

The morning of, I usually have a bagel with peanut butter, but if I remember correctly you already have your pre-run meal situation figured out.

Thank you for this, thank you... I love both ramen and pizza!!! I won't try much of anything new this week and the morning of, I'm planning peanut butter toast.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    First of all Congratulations and have fun!!!

I second don't eat anything new!!! Just eat whatever you did the night before a long run during training. The morning of eat whatever you did before your long run. I typically have toast with butter and honey before my run. You likely will have trained with some type of fuel mid run.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    First of all Congratulations and have fun!!!

I second don't eat anything new!!! Just eat whatever you did the night before a long run during training. The morning of eat whatever you did before your long run. I typically have toast with butter and honey before my run. You likely will have trained with some type of fuel mid run.

Thank you!!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Agree 100% - Nothing new. Now is not the time to experiment.

What you eat 2 days before is more important. I normally have a decent pasta meal with protein 2 days before a race. The day before I try to get carbs and protein but I avoid too much fat and fiber. I don't go crazy with it (I'm not counting grams) I just try to focus on light meals that are carb based.

Don't forget to stay hydrated in the days leading up to the race.

Good luck.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My meal the evening before a marathon is usually pancakes. I save one to have in the AM with peanut butter. As @dewd2 said, what you eat in the days leading up to the race is probably more important. I drink plenty of sports drinks and juice. I don't usually drink sugary drinks or much of anything with calories, but when prepping for a marathon it is important to take in enough liquid with your meals because your body depends on water to help store glycogen. Getting my carbs/calories from drinks also helps to keep me from feeling too full and bloated from eating too many carbs.

Good luck on Sunday!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Agree 100% - Nothing new. Now is not the time to experiment.

What you eat 2 days before is more important. I normally have a decent pasta meal with protein 2 days before a race. The day before I try to get carbs and protein but I avoid too much fat and fiber. I don't go crazy with it (I'm not counting grams) I just try to focus on light meals that are carb based.

Don't forget to stay hydrated in the days leading up to the race.

Good luck.

Thank you very much!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    My meal the evening before a marathon is usually pancakes. I save one to have in the AM with peanut butter. As @dewd2 said, what you eat in the days leading up to the race is probably more important. I drink plenty of sports drinks and juice. I don't usually drink sugary drinks or much of anything with calories, but when prepping for a marathon it is important to take in enough liquid with your meals because your body depends on water to help store glycogen. Getting my carbs/calories from drinks also helps to keep me from feeling too full and bloated from eating too many carbs.

Good luck on Sunday!

I appreciate this! I am learning from y'all...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm going to honestly say if you are just figuring this out now - you are a bit behind the game - what did you eat the nights before your long training runs? what did you eat the days of your long training runs? keep with what works
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    i'm going to honestly say if you are just figuring this out now - you are a bit behind the game - what did you eat the nights before your long training runs? what did you eat the days of your long training runs? keep with what works

Thank you...I just wondered what everyone else does that brings them success. I am always trying to improve and I appreciate the "veteran" runners experiences. Mine are minimal at this point in comparison...
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »

Thank you...I just wondered what everyone else does that brings them success. I am always trying to improve and I appreciate the "veteran" runners experiences. Mine are minimal at this point in comparison...

I have a bunch of runners in my family and we're always asking each other for input . . . even though we know what works well for us, you can always learn new stuff and it's just interesting to hear what other people have tried (my brother drinks pickle juice during marathons, for example!). Even though you've got a plan for this marathon, it's never too early to begin thinking of things to try for your next marathon (and yes, I'm assuming you've got the bug and will probably run another!).

I had never heard of the idea @lporter229 shared -- to try sports drink and juices the week before the marathon to get in the carbohydrates/hydration without feeling too full and bloated. I may try that in June (my next marathon). My appetite tends to be really uneven during the taper and juices could help on really low appetite days, I think.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »

I have a bunch of runners in my family and we're always asking each other for input . . . even though we know what works well for us, you can always learn new stuff and it's just interesting to hear what other people have tried (my brother drinks pickle juice during marathons, for example!). Even though you've got a plan for this marathon, it's never too early to begin thinking of things to try for your next marathon (and yes, I'm assuming you've got the bug and will probably run another!).

I had never heard of the idea @lporter229 shared -- to try sports drink and juices the week before the marathon to get in the carbohydrates/hydration without feeling too full and bloated. I may try that in June (my next marathon). My appetite tends to be really uneven during the taper and juices could help on really low appetite days, I think.

Thank you for this support and yes, I'm always up for drinking some juice! I don't get muscle cramps, not usually anyway, but I just read some juices that are high in potassium which would be beneficial during a long run! Prune, grapefruit, orange, carrot and vegetable juice are all in that category. I appreciate you...you'll do great in your race...your positive attitude shines through!!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I agree that it is wise to test out fueling and nutrition on your long training runs, but that is only part of the picture. There is only so much you can do during a training run to try and predict how your body is going to react in that uncharted territory of the final miles of a marathon. Personally, after about 18 miles of pushing my limits, my body pretty much rejects all fuel. I may be able to force down a few sips of Gatorade or Tailwind, but forget gels or chews. I have heard people say that they do not feel the need to carb load prior to a marathon because they fuel throughout the race. Maybe this works for some people, but not everyone and you may not realize this until it is too late. I fuel throughout the race but only for as long as my stomach allows. After that, I am relying on what I have stored to get me through the rest of the race, so having a plan for this is key for me.

I guess my point in all this is that, yes, it is wise to be prepared ahead of time by experimenting with what type of fuel your body prefers, but you also need to be prepared to expect the unexpected because you will be pushing your limits harder than you ever have before. It helps to understand the physiology of what is happening with your body when you are "running on fumes" so to speak. It is always wise to ask questions and seek advice from experienced runners, as most of us have learned some lessons the hard way!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I agree that it is wise to test out fueling and nutrition on your long training runs, but that is only part of the picture. There is only so much you can do during a training run to try and predict how your body is going to react in that uncharted territory of the final miles of a marathon. Personally, after about 18 miles of pushing my limits, my body pretty much rejects all fuel. I may be able to force down a few sips of Gatorade or Tailwind, but forget gels or chews. I have heard people say that they do not feel the need to carb load prior to a marathon because they fuel throughout the race. Maybe this works for some people, but not everyone and you may not realize this until it is too late. I fuel throughout the race but only for as long as my stomach allows. After that, I am relying on what I have stored to get me through the rest of the race, so having a plan for this is key for me.

I guess my point in all this is that, yes, it is wise to be prepared ahead of time by experimenting with what type of fuel your body prefers, but you also need to be prepared to expect the unexpected because you will be pushing your limits harder than you ever have before. It helps to understand the physiology of what is happening with your body when you are "running on fumes" so to speak. It is always wise to ask questions and seek advice from experienced runners, as most of us have learned some lessons the hard way!

Well said, you have to expect the unexpected.

I am a firm believer that we should test during long runs and then use that during the marathon, but it's impossible to predict exactly what your body is going to do and there may be times when you need to mix things up a little.

My last marathon, my stomach began cramping really badly after mile 20 and I couldn't stomach another Gu. No worries, I knew what I needed (sugar) and I was able to make up the gap with hard candies for the last few miles (which I was able to stomach). Knowing the general principles allows us to improvise in a pinch.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

You are so sweet... thank you. I appreciate this so much... I struggled through my 20 mile run and I know I can improve on it in the future but it's other peoples' experiences that help because it gives me a way of knowing how to try something different in the future. And I don't necessarily want to learn any more lessons the hard way, if I don't have to...

I looked up juices, especially ones with high potassium levels. Carbs plus higher potassium, yes!!! I never would have considered juices without your response, so thank you again for this...!!! I
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    No advice on the diet, but lots of good luck on your marathon, and I hope you'll let us know how you do, and what you decide to eat.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    No advice on the diet, but lots of good luck on your marathon, and I hope you'll let us know how you do, and what you decide to eat.

So sweet, thank you and I will! It would be my pleasure!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best of luck!!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Wishing you the best of luck!!

Thank you!
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would generally eat whatever I wanted. I never 'carb loaded' or anything prior to a long run (half marathon is my longest).