Can’t stick with it

I always start off so well. Tracking what I’m eating, exercising, but it never lasts. I end up binging and saying f@!% it until I’m back to where I started 😔

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Perhaps take smaller and more sustainable steps. Each time you quit, you just have to start again.
  • alexv8719
    alexv8719 Posts: 21 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Have you looked at why? Are you being too strict? Too low calorie? Trying to cut out favourite foods rather than trying to fit them in? I went through what you describe so many times until I stepped back and realized that good enough is better than perfect because it allows me to be human. [/quote

I tend to try and fit in a treat to satiate a craving and then I can’t stop at a little or what fits in my calories for the day. I think that’s my biggest challenge
  • alexv8719
    alexv8719 Posts: 21 Member
    I tend to try and fit in a treat to satiate a craving and then I can’t stop at a little or what fits in my calories for the day. I think that’s my biggest challenge
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    alexv8719 wrote: »

I did have to get certain foods out of my house (ice cream), and then pick up single serving sizes when I wanted a treat. Over time, I learned to moderate them, but it took a long time (think years, not weeks). Maybe there is another way you can set up your plan that will make it easier for you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Start with this- track everything you eat or drink that has calories, the good, the bad and the ugly. No matter what.

What system were you following that didn’t track choices that might put you over your number? Do the process. The process is more important than the numbers. If you find that you are regularly over your number, maybe consider that your deficit is too aggressive.

A plan that we won’t actually follow is not a good plan. A plan like that needs to be fixed.
    Quitting won’t fix it.

You can do this. But be careful about what red lines you draw. You have to live with them. Good luck.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    100% agree with @88olds . The NHS in the UK has a 12-week weight loss plan and the first week is simply logging. Not changing anything you eat necessarily, just knowing where you are, precisely where you are. Once you have that, once you've been able to accurately log, you can start to look at creating a deficit. Which, by the way, is the only thing you need if you're looking to lose weight. Exercise is brilliant for health, but a caloric deficit is what will cause weight loss.

I actually found it a really useful tool, in tandem with MFP: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/ (I believe people outside the UK can access it). Totally doable steps, suggestions and guidance along the line. If you're feeling like your only options are to go all in or fail, it offers another option.