Calories in butter / margarine how to work them out?

Options
Hi, I’m trying to work out the best & easiest way to work out my calories for butter or margarine? If I spread say 2 slices of bread with butter how do I work out the calories for that? Thanks in advance

Replies

• noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Put the bread on a scale without anything on it. Tare the scale. Spread the butter. Reweigh the bread. Log the amount of butter used.

Ah great thanks, I was thrown with how to work it out as my butter tub only has workings out for 100g on it & was unsure how many grams would be used for 2 slices of bread etc
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    noelkro80 wrote: »
    Put the bread on a scale without anything on it. Tare the scale. Spread the butter. Reweigh the bread. Log the amount of butter used.

Ah great thanks, I was thrown with how to work it out as my butter tub only has workings out for 100g on it & was unsure how many grams would be used for 2 slices of bread etc

You can log foods by individual gram, which helps a ton!

I find that my 'thin' smear of butter on a slice of bread is usually around 8 to 10grams.
  • noelkro80
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    Weight the container before and after you have taken out what you need.That's what I do anyway.

Great tip! Thank you
  • noelkro80
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I put the butter on the scale and tare to zero. Scoop off yummy butter until I've either taken enough, whatever the negative number is, that's the grams I've used. Lick the butter knife, because dammit I'm logging that half a gram anyway! If you use 10 grams, and the entry in the database is 100g, log 0.1 serving.

Samesies for peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, etc.

Now you have a bunch of ways to approach the problem!

That’s great, thank you
  • noelkro80
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Take butter out of the fridge and let it soften so that it actually is spreadable. Skip this step if you are using *kitten* margerine.
    Place butter on the scale and scrape off whatever you need for your bread.
    Cry at the amount and the calories (no the tears do not make it be any less calories).

Lol! Great thanks. Btw what is kitten margarine?
  • Buttermello
    Options
    Take butter out of the fridge and let it soften so that it actually is spreadable. Skip this step if you are using *kitten* margerine.
    Cry at the amount and the calories (no the tears do not make it be any less calories).

Or just leave the butter on the counter/in a cabinet so ita always spreadable.
  • Buttermello
    Options

It's the MFP placeholder for expletives.
  • noelkro80
    Options

It's the MFP placeholder for expletives.

Oh ok great I get what you mean 😆