Vegan and gluten free

Options
Anyone going vegan and gluten free? How are you doing?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    tripsmom3 wrote: »
    Anyone going vegan and gluten free? How are you doing?

Because of the way you worded this, I am wondering if you are being unnecessarily restrictive. Are you going vegan because of ethical reasons and gluten-free because you have an allergy or intolerance to gluten? If not, sure, this can help you lose weight short term but you will likely find it ultimately overly restrictive and unsustainable.

Here's a review of a video of the Buff Dudes one month eating vegan. They decided to drop it after a month. Since the reviewer is vegan for ethical reasons, eating vegan is much more sustainable for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzLMRqVoOMk&list=LLVE5X452GAZjduDT5L00Mnw&index=2&t=1s

Here's the original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFjjchZGg0w&t=5s
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, me! Not restrictive really, there are like thousands of foods to eat. For me the gluten free part is new, and was suggested (yes by my health care provider) based on other health issues. Eliminating gluten (well drastically reducing is more accurate) has cleaned up my vegan diet too. I’m feeling great and resolving other health issues.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I am not gluten free but I try to avoid too much gluten and I have been vegan for 3 years. It was a little work at first because I had to do my research and find some tasty recipes to keep me interested and find out what was okay to eat. There are lots of helpful sites like vegan womble which list vegan friendly foods.

I now have a four weekly meal plan which I rotate. I have a shopping list for each week and I find it quite easy to manage without much forward planning. I do cook most nights but after a few times cooking a recipe, it is quite straight forward. None of my meals take more than 30 minutes to prepare and I can honestly say, that I have never enjoyed my food more.

Healthwise, My OH has lowered his cholesterol and has avoided medication, He gives blood regularly and has never been turned away due to anaemia. I was anaemic before I was vegan. I am not anymore. I generally feel much less lethargic than I did before. It is recommended that you take a B12 supplement as you can't get that from plants but it is cheap to buy and perhaps not necessary if you eat fortified foods. Many carnivores are also B12 deficient too. As with all diets, If you try to eat a good variety of natural foods, you should be fine.

For the most part by weight had stayed at my goal without any logging or really thinking about calories. Sadly as mentioned on another thread, a new HRT has changed that now!

ETA I have noticed no difference to my weekly food shop bill but I tend to buy everyday stuff rather than special vegan stuff.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I generally eat vegan and always paleo (which is a gluten free diet, but more restrictive). I feel pretty good and have enough energy. I basically have to only eat food that's cooked every night from scratch, and it definitely increases the grocery bill for me. But I don't buy anything that's processed in any way (with the exception of coffee beans, oil, spices, and almond/cashew milk for my coffee), so I basically only buy produce. If you're just doing gluten free, there are a lot of packaged things you can buy that are made with something other than gluten, that should make the cost and difficulty more reasonable.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I avoid gluten as much as possible. I don't buy any special "gluten-free" products - I just try to eat mostly plants. Produce, legumes, nuts, intact grains, etc. Avoid the processed stuff. This is a good way to keep costs down, as "gluten free" labeled items tend to be expensive. This way of eating does require home-cooking most meals, but we have the time and enjoy it. Look forward to feeling amazing if you go this route :):):)
  • Urun4me
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    My main issue with paleo personally is that I think eliminating beans and lentils (and peanuts) is nuts, as they are healthful foods that make it easier not to rely on meat for protein. (I also think grains are perfectly healthful for most, including those with and without gluten, as many grains like corn and rice and oats lack gluten, and that dairy can be healthful for those not intolerant and of course with no ethical issues.)

If one enjoys that way of eating and eats a healthy overall diet doing it, I'm all for it -- I'm for anything that someone enjoys and that actually helps them eat a healthful diet -- but I would find hitting a reasonable protein target on vegan very hard without beans and lentils. I'm only 100% plant-based about 3-4 days per week and I still rely heavily on beans and lentils, not only those days but many others (since I limit animal products to one meal a day on most other days). I could exclude gluten without too much problem if I didn't have to be as strict as a celiac about cross contamination, but I am glad I don't have to (and I feel for celiacs, as that can be a real pain).

I'm actually kinda struggling to think of how to meet a reasonable protein goal on a vegan diet that has eliminated grains, beans, and soy. There must be some foods I'm missing when I'm thinking about what would be included in the diet, because a diet of produce, coffee, and almond milk sounds like protein would be a constant struggle.

I eat a ton of arugula and lots of nuts and seeds. So far haven't seen any adverse effects from the large amount of fiber but it is something that I'm watching for and made sure to get some tests done to test for blood health before I started. I am willing to start eating tofu if I can't continue to make the diet work. But I work at home and am basically constantly snacking on foods.

I do eat some meat when on trips if I can't find something else that works.
  • ahundtgolden
    ahundtgolden Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is super important to remember that gluten free does not mean that something is healthier. As a person with celiac, I try to avoid most GF processed foods because to make these products taste palatable and have passable textures, loads of sugar and fat are added. Many people confound GF and healthy...definitely not mutually inclusive.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Urun4me wrote: »
    My main issue with paleo personally is that I think eliminating beans and lentils (and peanuts) is nuts, as they are healthful foods that make it easier not to rely on meat for protein. (I also think grains are perfectly healthful for most, including those with and without gluten, as many grains like corn and rice and oats lack gluten, and that dairy can be healthful for those not intolerant and of course with no ethical issues.)

If one enjoys that way of eating and eats a healthy overall diet doing it, I'm all for it -- I'm for anything that someone enjoys and that actually helps them eat a healthful diet -- but I would find hitting a reasonable protein target on vegan very hard without beans and lentils. I'm only 100% plant-based about 3-4 days per week and I still rely heavily on beans and lentils, not only those days but many others (since I limit animal products to one meal a day on most other days). I could exclude gluten without too much problem if I didn't have to be as strict as a celiac about cross contamination, but I am glad I don't have to (and I feel for celiacs, as that can be a real pain).

I'm actually kinda struggling to think of how to meet a reasonable protein goal on a vegan diet that has eliminated grains, beans, and soy. There must be some foods I'm missing when I'm thinking about what would be included in the diet, because a diet of produce, coffee, and almond milk sounds like protein would be a constant struggle.

I eat a ton of arugula and lots of nuts and seeds. So far haven't seen any adverse effects from the large amount of fiber but it is something that I'm watching for and made sure to get some tests done to test for blood health before I started. I am willing to start eating tofu if I can't continue to make the diet work. But I work at home and am basically constantly snacking on foods.

Oh, I misread your post. I thought you were vegan and that is why I was confused about how it was working. Yeah, I can imagine meat would make a diet like this work.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

I wouldn't think the fiber was an issue -- I eat lots of vegetables and a couple of servings of nuts and seeds daily and still have quite a bit more fiber on days I eat beans/lentils.

What seems like an issue is how to get sufficient protein, but I suppose on some days meat is the answer.

Pretty much all significant vegan sources of protein are legumes or grains.

What are your normal cals and protein grams on days you don't eat meat, if you don't mind saying.

I used to think vegan keto seemed impossible (I still think it seems harder than likely necessary for anyone, but I've listened to people who have done experiments with it), but that is possible because people typically do use foods like tofu and seitan which are off limits on paleo.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Oh, I misread your post. I thought you were vegan and that is why I was confused about how it was working. Yeah, I can imagine meat would make a diet like this work.

@janejellyroll, @Urun4me did say "I generally eat vegan" so your confusion is understandable.

@Urun4me when you are eating at home and not eating meat, how many grams of protein or what percent protein do you get? While nuts and seeds do have some protein, they are a better source of fat, and it takes a LOT of calories to get a sufficient amount of protein from them.
  • Urun4me
    Options
    I'm not sure on percentages or amounts. My guess is that I'm getting about 75% of what's recommended for my weight. I'm primarily focusing on watching (and testing) for the effects of protein deficiency. I do think I will probably throw in tofu soon. I am working with 2 professionals on the nutrition side who are assisting me with this, so I'm not here recommending it to anyone.

I eat a lot of hemp seed and a ton of arugula (about 2 lbs per day).

Also, I've only been eating strictly for 7 weeks, and only been on one trip where I ate meat for 1 day. My trip comment was more about the future than current.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm not sure on percentages or amounts. My guess is that I'm getting about 75% of what's recommended for my weight. I'm primarily focusing on watching (and testing) for the effects of protein deficiency. I do think I will probably throw in tofu soon. I am working with 2 professionals on the nutrition side who are assisting me with this, so I'm not here recommending it to anyone.

I eat a lot of hemp seed and a ton of arugula (about 2 lbs per day).

Also, I've only been eating strictly for 7 weeks, and only been on one trip where I ate meat for 1 day. My trip comment was more about the future than current.

May I ask what the relevance of the arugula is? Two pounds would only be about 23 grams of protein, which isn't that much considering the volume of the food. I'm also dubious that the amino acid profile makes it suitable as a main protein source for vegans (or people on a mostly plant-based diet), although it's certainly useful to help round out the protein from other foods.
  • Urun4me
    Options
    23 grams is over 25% of the recommended amount. Not sure why that wouldn't be relevant.

My primary source is hemp seed which I'm estimating I get about 30-40 grams from.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    23 grams is over 25% of the recommended amount. Not sure why that wouldn't be relevant.

My primary source is hemp seed which I'm estimating I get about 30-40 grams from.

That's around 600 calories of hemp seeds per day. I'm glad that works for you, but for many people that's a lot of calories to dedicate to a single food daily.