Weight loss and loss of muscle mass

Would love thoughts on losing weight and maintaining muscle mass. I know protein is important, but how important? And if you can’t gain muscle, why is it recommended to still weight train? Also, how important is the rate at which you lose weight in terms of maintaining muscle?
Spent two years lifting and now I need to lose some extra fat but I don’t want to lose progress with my glutes!

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Protein is very important -you may want to increase your intake a bit. It is possible to build muscle while on a calorie deficit, but it's more difficult. If you keep lifting heavy while dieting & keep protein intake up, you will have the best chance of keeping your muscle & your glutes. It may help to cycle carbs - less on a non lifting day
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2020
    In order to help retain as much muscle as possible when losing, adequate protein, progressive lifting/resistance training and a not too aggressive deficit are recommended.

Some people depending on the circumstances can build some muscle in a deficit. But regardless even if you don't build any it is recommended to maintain what you have otherwise your body is more likely to give it up.

To add many people can still gain strength when they are losing so that is any great reason to lift.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    If you've been lifting effectively for two years, you are right, you're unlikely to be able to gain muscle while losing weight, however sufficient protein and continued lifting will go a long way to helping you retain the muscle you have build. Rough guide with protein is 1g per lb of weight. Rate of loss is also going to affect this, your body can only convert so much fat to energy per day, so any amount above this WILL be taken from muscle/other places you don't want it taken from, so again, you are right - a more moderate deficit is a wise idea if you are trying to lose fat while retaining muscle. Around 0.5lb per week is what I generally see bandied about here.