Hip thrusts

Options
zoer302
zoer302 Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone, I've never done any sort of weightlifting / strength training before.

I've been looking into a few things I could start doing in the gym and hip thrusts keep coming up.
My questions are
1. Would this be safe if you have lower back issues? By issues I mean frequent lower back ache and rarely a sciatica flare up.
2. Whenever I watch anyone doing them, it seems like they're holding their neck at a funny angle for a prolonged period, putting strain on the neck muscles. I suffer from tension headaches and wouldn't want to do anything to worsen the problem. Is this the case or not? (Hope I've explained what I mean properly!)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with pulling my lower back on deadlifts, but never had a problem with hip thrusts. I also tend to have tight trapezius muscles, especially on the left. I have never tweaked my neck doing hip thrusts. As for sciatica, you would just have to try it and see. I feel like hip thrusts are a pretty safe exercise. Get a bar pad and increase your weight gradually. Also watch some videos to check form.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Sciatica is difficult to work around. Test it out without weights and see if it hurts then gradually try adding weight and see if you can tolerate it.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I do hip thrusts to help my back pain. I try not to put pressure on my neck and keep it in a natural position
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don’t overarch your back and keep your neck neutral, try focusing on a particular spot - if you try to “pull” with your neck you can for sure hurt it. Basically avoid doing anything you would avoid doing with your neck during crunches or sit-ups. I haven’t noticed hip or back issues being worsened by hip thrusts even when I was having other hip problems.

I like to do them using a sideways bench and the smith machine, only thing a smith machine is good for in my opinion! That way the weight is balanced over your hips. A padded collar on the bar also helps.
  • SJBermingham
    SJBermingham Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I also have back issues and I find hip thrusts to be pretty safe, especially compared with deadlifts.

Start off getting your form perfect with little / no weight and gradually load weight from there provided your form is perfect. Form is the most important thing.

You need to check out Bret Contreras instagram. He is the inventor of the hip thrust movement, has a PHD in biomechanics and has the leading literature regarding glutes. His page shows you how to perform the movement perfectly.

Good luck!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I haven't noticed any issues with my lower back or neck concerning hip thrusts. However, I really try to make sure I'm not looking up or anything. I try to keep my head in a neutral position and look forward the entire time. Doing this also means I cannot hyper extend my back.

Here's a good video on proper form:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=LM8XHLYJoYs
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would watch videos on good form. Honestly I think hip thrusts are one of the "safest" lifts... risk of injury is lower than say, deadlifts. Look up bret contreras and watch a video of his.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Argh I had a long reply but lost it. Short answer is to look up Bret Contreras and search for hip thrust variations. Or find his Glute Lab book at a library. It has a variation of the hip thrust where your upper body is supported by the end of a decline bench. I have chronic neck and back pain amd this was a real game changer for me. My injuries won't allow me to do hip thrusts the regular way off a flat bench.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have just started incorporating these into my routine, and I'm embarrassed to say it took until seeing his video from your recommendation here, to realise that most people find it uncomfortable and use a pad... I thought I was doing something wrong! That's what I get for just reading instructions and not watching a video (facepalm). I should know better.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    hlr1987 wrote: »
    I have just started incorporating these into my routine, and I'm embarrassed to say it took until seeing his video from your recommendation here, to realise that most people find it uncomfortable and use a pad... I thought I was doing something wrong! That's what I get for just reading instructions and not watching a video (facepalm). I should know better.

Yeah, hip thrusts aren't comfortable at all but they are fantastic. I got a hip thrust pad off of Amazon for like $10, but I've heard someone say they cut up a pool noodle and it works great for them.

He just posted a new video of him showing two types to doing it. Choose which version makes you happier i.e. fires the glutes more.

https://instagram.com/p/B8e3jyBhdyg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link