I feel like giving up tonight

I've had such a hard time with motivation the past week. Work was overwhelming for a few days and the sun hasn't been out in ages. My gas tank has been on empty, I've been eating trash because no time or motivation to cook, I'm bloated, lethargic, grumpy, and underhydrated, I failed on my attempt to kick soda for a few weeks. Work and the rain have teamed up to keep my indoors. Even the simple easy yoga routine I put on to try to help get me back on track is overwhelmingly exhausting and it's sitting paused 13 minutes in. I have lost 5-10 pounds so many times over the last 20 years it's not even funny and it always brings extra when it comes back. I'm feeling today like I'm on the verge of failing once again and that my life is doomed to this hopeless cycle as long as I live. I'm so frustrated and in need of encouragement tonight.

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I gained 10# in the past 6 months and am starting to lose it finally. It’s very frustrating to gain and lose over and over. I used to do it with 20 pounds and now I manage to put the breaks on at ten pounds gained because it’s a real pia to have to lose more. My goal is to have a 5 pound swing.

My advice is to put the breaks on now before it gets worse. And it will. Start counting your calories again. That’s what I start with. If I go over I record it and try to do better the next day (not the next week). You can do this- just start again and do it :smile:
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you both so much! I'm so grateful for the community here ❤️
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    This is one of my favorite videos. It's a true story. The end is the best part of all.

If he turned everything around, so can we.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Thanks!! This video is fantastic! It made me cry.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    That video proves what people can do when they've put their mind to it. I feel our brains are the most important muscle to use to get us where we want to go.
    Before you work on your eating/body, maybe you need to work on the issues that are facing your outlook. mindset, and your life right now? Make one change that you can live with, at a time. Looking back, if I had listened to all that wisdom that simply sounded like blahclicheblahclicheblah back then, I wouldn't have lost/gained the same 50-100 lbs. over and over. :(
    While losing weight can be extremely difficult, there are ways to make it easier and at times, even enjoyable. :) Find ways to incorporate good tasting food and fun activities into your routine without thinking of them as diet, tolerable, hard, painful, discouraging, etc. There are fun activities to do that keep you active. There are really yummy foods that are healthier to fulfill your needs.
    Above all, do NOT keep giving up because it keeps you stuck where you are. :( Feeling defeated and not capable. You ARE capable; you just haven't found the right combination of food/movement/mindset to keep you there. Everyone has off days but when they aren't the norm anymore, that's when you know you've found success!! Wishing you much luck and determination!!!
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    You can do this!! I would highly recommend you read the book Atomic Habits, it has great insight into how to build the right habits in our lives and why will power alone will fail us. Success in weightloss is all about consistency and having the right habits helps to remain consistent. It truly changed how I think and act. I listened to the audio book, I have a long commute so audio books are great for that.
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you all so much! I'm so excited about starting fresh this morning!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    Stick at it I am in the same boat, believe you can do it remember even if you can't see results you are healthier on the inside!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Yuck. You're kind of a wreck right now, huh? Lots of people here can relate. At some point, it all seems overwhelming and too much work. But maybe there is one small thing you can change for the better. One thing that you can commit to each day. Sometimes we want results so bad that we try to change everything all at once, and realistically, it just isn't a reasonable way to go about it. You got lots of good ideas here. Come back for more. I have found reading the Success Stories to be inspiring. I also decided that I wasn't going to weigh myself until I could tell that there was a big enough difference from my starting weight. I started logging food in March and weighed myself in August. When I did, 22 pounds was gone. What the heck. It was my "last ditch effort" to lose weight. EVERY OTHER TIME, I had resigned myself to being at my "set weight," most likely because it removed my accountability in the problem. I had no idea that I was actually able to lose the weight. I also realized that I don't have to lose it quickly, I just have to keep losing. You have lots of time, so do it the way that works for you.